Pearl Ring

SkipperJohn

Has anybody ever seen this type of pearl ring on a model 1871 before?

Not to mention what appears to be a model 1895 Wappen.
Oh wait --- a cruciform base, like a model 1860, but missing the two studs on the rear spine.
This is likely a "one of a kind".

John

Last edited:
John,

Has anybody ever seen this type of pearl ring on a model 1871 before?

Not to mention what appears to be a model 1895 Wappen.
Oh wait --- a cruciform base, like a model 1860, but missing the two studs on the rear spine.
This is likely a "one of a kind".

John

I have seen this helmet before your post and also thought there was something weird about it. When you look at the fifth picture you can look through the rear visor and the helmet which is strange. It almost looks like the rear visor is not stitched to the helmet but held in place in different manner. Also the difference in leather between the helmet and the visors struck me as odd

The only time I have ever seen that type of pearl ring on a cruciform base was on Hessen helmets. Hessen helmets; however, had equal length legs on the cruciform base (the front leg was the same as the others, not shorter). This helmet has a shorter front leg. Also Hessen helmets had a fluted spike. Looking at the inside of the helmet I can see no extra holes where a round spike base could have been mounted, so that is weird. None of my M71's with a round spike base have this type of pearl ring. The Wappen appears to be the M71 type. The M95 type Wappen had tail feathers that flare out instead of in. Personally I would pass on this one.
This same seller has/had an American Pickelhaube for sale that I considered. There were just too many questions for me to make the leap.

John

Back