Pickelhaube "Ersatz", opinion, please

monfort

Hi

I have seen this helmet: it has a Prussian plate, well fitted (no double holes,...) but a ink stamp 177R, which is obviously Saxon

What is your opinion , please?

Eric,

I don't have any pictures of Saxon units wearing Prussian Wappen. Lots of Hesse and Baden and other states but none of the states with separate army contingents.

Infantry Regiment 177 had a checkered history losing almost an entire battalion early in the war and then becoming the source for much of infantry Regiment 192. All of this proves nothing.

Hello every one,
I am new to this forum but have been quite active on German Helmet Walhalla.

I have the same helmet regimentally marked R177 and in complete condition but without the frontplate. There was never a frontplate on mine.
I even have a period postcard or photo were an EM of the saxon army is wearing such a cork helmet without frontplate
Check this out
http://zline.eu/forum/index.php?showtopic=4869
I will later put it on this site when I find the time.

[/img]

I have seen three of this helmets without a frontplate
One resides in the famous Belgian Royal Army museum in Brussels
one is in a private collection and one resides in my collection

R 177 is definetely saxon they all had the same stamp and no holes in the front of the helmet

Try to go to my previous stated website GHW German Helmet WAlhalla and you will see a pic of a saxon soldier and a pic of my helmet as well as that one from the museum

regards

I am posting these pictures on behalf of Belgianator
They are his pictures and I'm sure you will make a few comments.

Front.JPG

left%20side.JPG

Inside.JPG

Foto%20uit%20gazette%20nr%20313.JPG

gazette%20saxaon%20detail.JPG

Saxony%20haube%20in%20RBM.JPG

The last picture is from an example located at the Belgian Army Museum.

joerookery said:
I am posting these pictures on behalf of Belgianator
They are his pictures and I'm sure you will make a few comments.

Front.JPG

left%20side.JPG

Inside.JPG

Foto%20uit%20gazette%20nr%20313.JPG

gazette%20saxaon%20detail.JPG

Saxony%20haube%20in%20RBM.JPG

The last picture is from an example located at the Belgian Army Museum.

As you can see it is in every aspect the same as the one posted in the beginning of this thread except that mine has no frontplate, the one in the photo has no frontplate and the one in the Belgian museum also had no frontplate whatsoever. There are little differences regarding spike or chinstrap but the haube itsels is exactly the same.

Kurt thanks!

I had not seen this before. There is a record of order from Württemberg to allow units to go into action with out a Wappen in 1914. Interesting analysis of a bunch of Saxons. This is cool. Any idea of the maker of the Cork?

Hi everybody

Thank you for this research

So "mine" would have been cut to put a Prussian frontplate which is more beautiful to be sold....

This helmet was bought in the 60's from a dealer in Germany.

So I gave it up....and this helmet is sold somewhere now...

Back