Pickelhaube from the Colony Era

Yes there were special troops stationed in the German colonies. These troops had their own styles of uniforms and helmets/headdress. These look to be original pieces with excellent ink stamps and dates. However, I am no expert on these colonial pieces but other forum members are. They will give more information.

I have some SERIOUS doubts about this group. There are countless patterns of Imperial German tropical helmets and I have looked through several of my books and I have found similar helmets, but nothing exactly like it. What complicates matters is that the Germans used an odd assortment of helmets, but I personally believe even in published and trusted sources there are a multitude of misidentified helmets (French helmets with a cockade added for example).

My gut without seeing this helmet in the flesh is that it is a modern copy dressed up. I don't care for the stamps on any of the items.

I'm not sure exactly what www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de is btw. Is it actually part of eBay?

That was sold by ebay a few years ago. Next year the name ebay should disappear. This is a really ingenious app for small private things, but an extremely high number of fakes.

Thanks for your help, but I'm just not sure what to spend on it. As always: if it's real, it's worth a lot. But is it actually real?

thanks Sven

Back