PICKELHAUBE SURPRISE!

dpwickicky

I got a very nice surprise recently, having purchased what looked like a normal pickelhaube at a resonable price. Only $150 and in pretty good condition, though nothing special about it, but I said 'oh to hell with it, I'll get it', since it wasn't expensive. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be made of a pressed fibre of some kind, orange in colour, with a reinforced visor, but lacquered on the outside with the same finish as would have been used on a leather helmet, giving it the outward apperance of a standard pickelhaube! I'm not sure exactly what it's made of, but given the fact that it was home to some kind of beetle, having a number of little holes inside, I should think it isn't rabbit fur, and anyway I can't see anything in it that looks like hair of any kind. Perhaps a fibreboard of some kind? I really don't know. Anyway, it's rather a nice find, the first of it's kind I've come across, and I think worth more than what I paid for it. If anybody knows exactly what the bright orange fibre is I'd be interested to know.

$150 beats $405:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WWI-German-Imperial-Pickelhaube-Prussian-style-Helmet-/251104830833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7703a571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cannot see well on my iPad but it might be paper mâché. certainly is exciting and worth far more than $150! Congrats
[-o<

You definately should take better and larger pictures, I see just a small black blob on my screen :cry: ... But with the provided pictures it looks like a felt variation...

Adler

The chinstrap by itself, if authentic, would sell for that much ($150); sometimes more... One lucky find indeed! :bravo:

Nice find! Could you please post better pics? That would be more informative.

Best regards and thanks for sharing,

Edwin

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll get better photos when I have the camera back! Yes, a nice item. Chinstrap seems genuine. Inkstamped for B.A. X but can't make out the date. Thanks again.

Not papier mache in my opinion. Note how the edge of the rear visor is folded under. In my opinion a typical felt helme with shellac finish on the outside and metal visor trim.

Not papier mache in my opinion. Note how the edge of the rear visor is folded under. In my opinion a typical felt helme with shellac finish on the outside and metal visor trim.

I think that you are right. Larger screen here at home however we still need bigger pictures!

Back