Pickelhaube with Bavarian plate

Inkling

I'm trying to learn more about this helmet.
It's leather with the Bavarian helmet plate and has an oval maker's stamp "Hans R--- / 191? / Neu-Ulm", and another which I believe is a unit or regiment stamp, possibly "2RAR". No cockades, and no chin strap.
If anyone can help me out with more information I'd really appreciate it

Attachments

• Bruun pickelhaube 1.JPG
    Bruun pickelhaube 1.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Bruun pickelhaube 2.JPG
    Bruun pickelhaube 2.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Bruun pickelhaube 3.JPG
    Bruun pickelhaube 3.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Bruun pickelhaube 4.JPG
    Bruun pickelhaube 4.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Bruun pickelhaube 5.JPG
    Bruun pickelhaube 5.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 17
  • Bruun pickelhaube 6.JPG
    Bruun pickelhaube 6.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm looking at kaisersbunker.com right now and it looks like the spike, plate and visor match the M1896 Mannschaften for Foot Troops, although the metal used does not appear to be brass as its rusty. Perhaps it was brass-plated?

It is an M15, made by Hans Römer, Neu Ulm, dated 1915. The regimental mark seems to me to read 2FsAR.
2nd Fuss Artillerie Regiment. Steve is right, a feldgrau one with grey metal parts, that is why it is rusty.
Here is my Bavarian M15, so you can compare it with your helmet.
Bayern M15 1.jpg
You can see, mine also has some rust, but was probably kept in a dry environment. So rust isn't that bad, on mine.
Your helmet might clean up well, with a mild, very mild cleaning.
A nice helmet, which can look nice with some kokarden and a chinstrap.

Welcome on the forum by the way!

Greetings, Coert. (y)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information. I will check if the spike is removable. Is feldgrau the type of metal?

If you look closely at the spike, you will see 2 small apertures at the bottom of it, this is a bayonet style fitting, twist the spike gently to the left, and it will come off. You can see one on my photo.
Bayonet spike fitting on an M15..jpg
Feldgrau is the name, given to all helmets with this grey style, the metal used is steel, but the chemically applied finish is called feldgrau.
This can come in different colours, all grey, but some are lighter in hue, and some darker. I have several M15's, all feldgrau, but some are lighter in colour than others. Not one of them has the same colour.

Agree with all of the above.....Model 1915 Bavarian Ordinary Ranks pickelhaube. The M15 was developed to save brass which was needed for shell casings and to provide less shiny fittings for these helmets. Both visors also need to be restitched as the original cotton thread has rotted. There is information in the restoration section on how to do this or you can contact me and I will quote you a price for the work. This is a common problem with these old helmets. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information, which would have taken me ages to uncover on my own, if ever. I'm not a collector or historian of this period, but am trying to help out a friend. It belonged to her Danish father, who died a couple of years ago, but she has no idea of its earlier provenance. She is thrilled to have the information!

By the way I have never owned many Bavarian helmets . So an old question to me .Some Bavarian front plates
have vines interwoven on the plate ; others do not .Years ago someone suggested that the vines were for
mounted units ? I never got what I considered was / is the true story .Can some of you Bavarian collectors
please fill me in on the correct answer ?
Thanks
Steve

Hello Steve,

If you read this chapter, which is on Tony's site, about Bavarian wappens, and helmets, it might be clear for you.
It seems the wappen M1886 was modified and had the vines and leaves removed, in 1914, but the mounted troops continued using it until 1915.

Greetings, Coert.

Back