Pickelhauben in the Lisbon Military Museum, Portugal

chrispaulodale

I thought Portugal would be a pretty unlikely place to hunt for Pickelhauben so I went and had a look at the Museu Militar, Largo do Museu da Artilharia, Alfama in Lisbon.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Is this an 1842 Officer's Haube?
lisbon.jpg

An 1895, missing its chinstrap and cockades?
lisbon2.jpg

This is an Oldenburg Haube...
lisbon1.jpg

...and of course a Portuguese Haube
lisbon3.jpg

I was just about to get started photographing this lot individually when a member of staff came and reminded me that photography was not allowed. Very embarrassing!
lisbon4.jpg

It's a real shame they don't allow their museum to be photographed as they've got some great and curious items in the their collection. Of course their completely unique Portuguese Western Front WW1 collection was the absolute highlight.

For more information see http://www.geira.pt/mmilitar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or the more informative http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/military-museum.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Well worth a visit if you're in the area!

Cheers
Chris

I have to laugh as Dr. Bucholz is constantly complaining that his German Euros go there. He calls the country a black euro hole. He goes there on vacation next month I will send him the link!

We've got three or four black Euro holes over here, but of them all I reckon the Portuguese have the best Pickelhaube collection!

Cheers
Chris

chrispaulodale said:
We've got three or four black Euro holes over here, but of them all I reckon the Portuguese have the best Pickelhaube collection!

Cheers
Chris

I am not sure whether there is a pickelhaube collection in Greece apart from the huge black hole :D

Regards,

Edwin

Thanks for sharing! Anyway, I think it's weak of them NOT to allow photography of their permanent collections, unless they've published a good catalog that can be purchased.

:D Ron

chrispaulodale said:

Cheers
Chris

It's the same in the US and probably Canada as well. The states that take in more help support those that don't. As in the US, problems occur when some hot shot decides to ruin a segment of the economy (see Enron) for gain and nothing ever happens to them other than a slap on the wrist. Oh well, part of being a group of states, or in your case, countries. Something to work on in both Brussels and DC. :) No, I don't know a solution, other than jailing the hot shots for life. :-k

:D Ron

All the European governments need to do to correct their economic problems is to sell all the Hauben and WW1 militaria they have. Empty a few museum shelves! The cash will roll in and.... problem solved.

Back