Pickelhaubes

Steve

Here is a poster and for me they are helmets " War Bonds Helmets"View attachment 39498

Thanks for posting this, Its very interesting to read terms like ward referring to city districts which I haven't heard used in many years. And to get a glimpse at how the Liberty Loan program actually worked.

I still have no idea how anyone would be able to tell what helmet was given out specifically as a Liberty loan prize? Maybe if you had an old family picture of the winner wearing the hat and holding the prize slip or a news paper article from a small town. Who knows ?

This paper was if I'm reading it correctly given to employees as an internal memo to use as a guideline if needed and to explain how many hats were acquired and where and when they were to be distributed.

I don't see any reference at all that Leeds me to believe this was given out with the helmet. Maybe I'm missing something, still very cool to see.

Last edited:
My general impression of the term War Bond helmet is that it is applied to an M15 helmet which is in near mint condition, factory fresh, new old stock, never been issued with no regimental markings. Other characteristics: never been taken apart, no scratches on interior spike support disc, tight fitting wappen and the patina of all metal fittings totally matches. Last, the M15 liner is complete with little sign of wear and the drawstring is present. Of course many of these WB helmets were played with by children, left in basements, worn at parties and on Halloween so they may be beaten up, missing parts and rusted. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yes Steve. I bought a jzp from AOK with the war bond sheet. There are about 8 different helmets offered as the war bond helmet when you buy the liberty bond. I have to drive to the storage hub where all the steel helmets are placed in order to have the pic.
Amy
Thanks
I know about these helmets and James LaB had copies of one of the photos made
and I understand the paper which is IMO very interesting .
My question is ; IF the paper is not with the helmet
how can it be known for sure that it is a true "War Bond " helmet
I would think very few of the helmets
still are kept together with that paper sheet
so does the collector only want helmets that have the paper sheet with them ?
Steve

Back