Pietsch books

joerookery

There have been a set on eBay that has not sold and the seller has lowered the price consistently. However, yesterday, he put a one-day sale on for $225. That is less than half of what he wanted originally. This book set is quite hard to find. $225 is a lot of money, but most people sell these in the $400 range today. Just for your information.

Good call, Joe!

I am very sorry I missed that one. Thank you, though.

I just noticed he is offering Moritz Ruhl's 2-volume set of books "die Orden, Wappen und Flaggen...," for a princely sum. He seems to have a habit of starting super-high, then ratcheting down his price to something more believable. On this set, he's got a long way to go.

Cheers,

Laurie

James,

Let us know what you think. The price you got was certainly good compared to the book services. However, I'm not a big fan of Pietsch. I think Kraus blows him away by about 40 years. In his two volume set. I seldom refer to this. Maybe I should.

Hi Joe,

It's my fault! I'm the one who dredged up the topic of the dreaded NCO cockades yet again.

Maybe it will stick in my mind this time. I had forgotten that you were trying to lay them to rest.

Somewhere I came across a period reference to the wretched things which seemed to suggest that they were created intentionally for use by NCO's.

Until I have incontrovertible proof I'll just have to be part of the evil conspiracy and continue to erode your sanity!

Cheers,

Laurie

Joe- I will let you know what I think of them when they come, as you know I have been looking for the 2 volume Kraus books for awhile with no luck, so these will have to do for now.

James

Joe,

Pietsch is really the only thing in print that half decently deals with the period prior to 1914. Kraus handles the field grey issue well as does the Knötel,Pietsch and Collas "Das Deutsche Heer" for the peace time uniforms of 1914.

It can be sometimes a little difficult tracking down what one wants in Pietsch but the information is usually there. Nothing yet has appeared in any language that adequately covers this entire earlier period from the early 1800s.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I didn't think of it that way -- -- I will have to relook at these books. It is hard to find information in them.

I really like Pietsch. It was all that was available for many years and is still very viable. I would suggest, however, that you consider "Das Deutsche Heer" for all prewar (circa 1914) questions. Its three volumes have just about anything you would want to know in a detailed overview. Of course, Paul Pietsch contributed heavily to it too.

Chip

Chip I have now fixed my leak thanks to Glenn and have 200 tafels from Das Deutschen Heer. I do not have the text volume. Is that the one you think is so good?

Joe,

The Textband is 432 pages and has similar material to B.Friedag's "Führer durch Heer und Flötte" 1914. If you have the money, it is worth having all of them. Having more than one gives you something to check the others against.

Chip

Glenn and Chip have covered it nicely, Pietsch is useful for pre-1914 and Kraus is superb for the Feldgra era and "Das Deutsche Heer" for 1914, but not before or after.

However, for those like me who are interested in the Franco-Preußen war, Pietsch focuses on Preußen. So if you have an interest in say, Sachsen or Württemberg, none of these books can really help. Knötel covers the material, but it does not go into great detail. And for anyone who cannot read German, these books are not going to help much due to language. T

I echo Tony's comments on the Franco-German War. Unfortunately the recent Osprey titles only scratch the surface and do little to redress the balance of limited information regarding this period.

An excellent series of very detailed articles on the Württemberg contingent from 1864-1871 appeared in the Zeitschrift für Heereskunde in 1981, isues 293-298.

Regards
Glenn

Glennj brings up another source that I did not think of. I have the reprinted compilation of the ZfH for the years 1929-1958. I have gone completely through them and made an index for the articles that have to do with the period of approximately 1897-1918. I would imagine that there is information on the earlier periods, I just was not looking for it.

Chip

Back