Police helmet

joerookery

I paid through the nose for this. The good news is that there is writing on the back. More to follow but I thought you would like to see the picture. :D :D :D

as13.jpg

Heck, Joe,
You have paid over twice that much for a post card before.
Gus

oops, my mistake, "nearly twice as much", but you have to admit, it is a cool photo

The good news is that the two big dogs were not in this fight. Postcard prices are going out of this world. URFAUST not only has a great eye for cards but he also gets a high paying clientele. He has built quite a business out of this.[/b]

The bad news is the writing says nothing. This might be the photo of the year but the backside was disappointing. At least it wasn't blank!

Wünsdorf, den 7.10.1914

Lieber Schwester,

Teihle ich dir mit daß ich gesund bin und wünsche dir das gleichen.
gruß sendet Gottlob Gronach

Translation:

Wünsdorf (a place about 40 km south of Berlin), 7-10-1914

Dear sister,

I inform you that I'm healthy and wish you the same.
Greetings send, Gottlob Gronach

The adress:

An Fräulein Gronach
Ober Greiffenberg
Angermünde

That still is a remarkable photo Joe, one most people would never get to see if not posted here. Do you have an I.D. yet for the wappen?

Oh yes sorry. The Wappen is clearly shown on page 29 of the Radecke book. It belongs to a run-of-the-mill royal Schutzmannschaft from Berlin. In other words -- a policeman --. What we do not know is what unit this individual mobilized into. -- we will never know but it does show that policemen were equipped by the Army, and helmets with Schutzmannsspitze actually made it into the Army albeit in miniscule numbers.

Back