"pop!" goes my comfort zone. WHAT is this chinstra

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Years ago I saw a helmet with a Bayern pattern leather strap on a Prussian helmet and I scoffed it. [-X No way said I.

And now here is a period photo of that exact strap. :tard: It appears to be exactly the same as the Bayern one which were M1886 Pickelhaube chinscales converted into leather chinstraps. But this is not Bayern!

This fellow is not a Einjährig-Freiwilliger (One year volunteer), he is a no-ranker. And to my eye, that does not all look like a Eigentums-helm. It looks issued?

I bought this from de-bay highest price photo seller, and he bled me white. But I had to have it.

pt109.jpg

One of a kind and as usual we find that there were exceptions to the rule. Why do we find this on a pre war helme?? There is no WW1 equipment desperation to excuse this. Great foto T. Brian

Brian,
Just because it is a pre war Helm, does not mean that the photo was not taken during the war. Tony, is there any date on the card?
Gus

Gustaf said:
Just because it is a pre war Helm, does not mean that the photo was not taken during the war. Tony, is there any date on the card?
Gus

Hmm...good thought, but it is actually a studio CdV. Nadda date. The best clue as to the time is that he has the large 25mm buttons which were replaced in 1895. Granted, who-knows ho long the older Waffenrocks were in use. The helmet though, appears to be a M1871 that has been converted to take the M1891 chinstrap.... You can even see that the chicken is 1871/1887 pattern, as there is no gap between the chicken's wings and the legs. The gap only came in 1891.

We have come far pilgrim!

GREAT catch Tony. Really great catch from the chicken to the strap. :thumbright:

To get brass to shine like that oooh . It's not a reserve unit is it as some were being formed around the turn of the century? I know i am proably way off base ,just thought they would end up with left overs,odds and ends as most were being made from other units.
zipperheads9

Back