Portuguese Model 1913 Helmet

Peter_Suciu

This is another of those ultra rare helmets. This is the FIRST Portuguese helmet I've seen in the flesh. These were meant for Europe and were sometimes worn with a stubby spike at the top.

This helmet, which is marked to the 29th infantry regiment did likely see service in Africa, where these doubled as "sun helmets." This a Metropolitan army other ranks helmet, and these had the rosette on the front along with the regimental number.

There were produced by a firm in Porto, called "Costa Brage & Fihos," and the firm logo is on the weat band. This example also bears the first model leather "rosette" on the front rather than the metal ones.

portuguese1.jpg

portuguese2.jpg

portuguese3.jpg

Peter, This is the first Portuguese helmet that I have ever seen - period! With the exception of the color of the rosette, I would have guessed British.

What is the helmet made of, appears to be pressed felt or cork. Was there a chinstrap? I also find it interesting that the top piece that holds the finial is a universal design used by many countries. Super condition!

Thanks for sharing a unique helmet.

Dan

Hi Dan--
This is pressed felt. These were originally designed for use in Europe, but were used in Africa.

It does follow the typical "colonial" pattern used by the British but I actually see it has a shape that is very much like the French pattern helmet. This is certainly a possibility as France supplied helmets to Spain and Portugal.

The top ventilator was used throughout the world, and it seems to be generally removable so that a spike could be worn in its place. Interesting the Portuguese used a spike that smaller and stubbier than the British thin and long one. It was also like a short Pickelhaube spike.

Orginally the sun helmets had a vent hole to the front to the front, and these patterns were first adopted in India. Eventually the spike was used and clearly someone released that a cap could be put on top - it would serve as a nice top and still let air in without letting in rain!

Peter - Actually, I was referring to the brass X in circle finial attachment piece, but it applies to the cap as well. I guess if you have a method that is simple and effective, it will be copied.

A neat helmet in excellent condition.

Dan

Peter, I mean no offense, but that has to be one of the ugliest helmets I've every seen! Not nearly as sharp looking as a lot of the others you have.

Liongules said:
Peter, I mean no offense, but that has to be one of the ugliest helmets I've every seen! Not nearly as sharp looking as a lot of the others you have.

Not the prettiest helmet at all, but a beauty to my eyes when it arrived! :D

It was probably practical for Europe, but I don't know how well received it was in Africa.

That is something totaly new to me.I find a very interesing Helmet , i do not find it that ugly , just looks practical.
mark

This Portuguese Model 1913 Helmet has value to all Portuguese soldiers in the year 1913's and the design of the help is simply unique. The texture I think is very good for a nice grip in your head. I believe it is one of the earliest design of the helmet for soldiers.

Congrats Peter as has already been said, I had no idea that something like this even existed. Re the liner, are the spacers cork? I find it a little odd that they would have the liner pins showing on the outside of the helmet. These look to have a "T" shaped head with split prongs???? folded back on the inside. Obviously a very rare piece! Excellent.

Brian, there should probably be a felt band around the outside of the helmet. these were removed for reasons I don't understand. Maybe they broke off as the helmet expanded and contracted.

Few surviving examples, of which there are only few, have the band.

Back