Post 1897 Hessen Infanterie-Regt 115 Haube!

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Yes Siree, quite a year so far... for my Jan update I posted the Hessen Leibgarde-Infanterie-Regt with brass fittings worn from 1871 to 1897. This month I post its companion, the German nickel-silver fittings version with Leibgarde Wappen wore after 1897.

Please click HERE for many clear, large photos and details on this superb helmet.

As a gift, if anyone would like the full-size photo of the two of them side-by-side at the bottom of the page at the link above, just e-mail me at home and I will be happy to send it to you; makes excellent wallpaper for your computer desktop.

dbh61.jpg

Very cool Tony, great fotos as usual. Yours is totally the same as mine except for the fact that my 1621 bandeau is held on with screw posts and square nuts. I should know, but what is the significance of the year 1621? Perhaps the year in which this Leib Regt was founded? I will take you up on that offer of wallpaper. You have a pair of super rare sweet hauben!! Brian

Tony; Very nice youre killing me! He's not on just a "roll" more like a "Kaiser Bun." Get it ? KaiserBun? I crack me up! Anyhow nice helmet. :D :D Jerry

I know these are expensive, but surprisingly, they show up often. One of those cases where crazy-expensive does not actually = rare. I could never afford to buy one, but I was fortunate to be able to trade my cased Granatenwerfer with tools. Since the burst pipe Christmas eve 2006 destroyed my 1st war German trench scene (and my rooms actually), I had nowhere to display the Granatenwerfer, and I always wanted one of these, so it made sense to trade. Some of you have examples; (Brian, I know you have one) why not post them here? T

OK T as soon as I find my darn camera battery!! Actually I have 2 other Hessens, a Reserve officer and an ORs marked to JR116. Both of these have brass fittings ofcourse. If you remember, we had a thread where we discussed the 2 different spike styles found on these 115 helmets. Mine like yours is just a screw on spike tip. The other has the typical spike tip with collar that screws down over the neck of the cruciform base. I wonder if there is someone on the forum that has a Hessen helmet with our style of spike tip but in brass?? Brian

b.loree said:
//If you remember, we had a thread where we discussed the 2 different spike styles found on these 115 helmets. Mine like yours is just a screw on spike tip. The other has the typical spike tip with collar that screws down over the neck of the cruciform base. I wonder if there is someone on the forum that has a Hessen helmet with our style of spike tip but in brass?? Brian

Lika so? My Hessen Leibgarde-Infanterie-Regt with brass fittings worn from 1871 to 1897 has the removable tip, identical to the LIR115 in silver.

Oh, and I think we have to go for a beer some day Jerry.
biggrin.gif

dbh62m.jpg

Liongules said:
b.loree said:
but what is the significance of the year 1621? Perhaps the year in which this Leib Regt was founded?
The regiment was founded 1 March 1621.

Well, the source I have said 1 March 1621, but Tony has 21 March 1621 on his page, so I'm probably incorrect!

Well T, I think that we have established another characteristic specific to Hessen helmet construction. Brian

Liongules said:
Well, the source I have said 1 March 1621, but Tony has 21 March 1621 on his page, so I'm probably incorrect!
I wouldn't say that, I make a lot of errors, and receive corrections all the time. Keeps me honest. But I just checked Larcade Vol. 1 p. 77 and he states 11 March 1621. So it seems we were both wrong! So I edited the page. I admit that I use Larcade as a primary reference as he has never let me down yet.

I also use Lacarde vols 1 & 2 as a principle reference plus Didier Laine. As a note to new collectors, you must have these 3 books as references to build your collections. If you have these books plus the expertise on this forum (and access to the Kaisers Bunker) it will be very hard to go wrong in purchasing hauben. Brian

I do not what makes the Silvered trim so nice , But I really like the nickel trimmed helmet's. Nice addition ( even though you lost the granatenwerfer :sad2: ).
Mark

Back