Postal problem from Germany?

seagull

Just been on eBay.de and seen numerous things for sale with the disclaimer that they have no method for posting to the UK. I know that the UK departure from the EU is messy and not exactly popular but this is exasperating when you see something you have been looking for and can't even get to send a message to the seller. Is it really no longer possible to send a kokarde across Europe??
Frustrated Steve.

I just checked our postal system, for us, I live in the Netherlands, it is still possible.
My guess is that the seller just doesn't want to do such a thing.

You may be right Coert, I don't get it, you would think that business is business whoever you sell to?
Steve

I think so too. In fact, it really is not much of a problem, posting to the UK, comparing to any other country.
It might cost a little more, as I found out sending classic motorcycle spares to the UK.
Then again, if the buyer pay's for shipping it, it would be of no concern at all.

Coert.

I am in the USA and I get packages from Germany and Belgium with no problem
Well I should say the problem is time
sometimes 3 months or longer
but they will ship
Steve

I suspect it is something to do with levying tax on sales by professionals through eBay, that and the Brexit mess which means no tax alignment between EU and UK.
Steve

Now I get it. eBay now collect Value Added Tax on EXPORTS from the UK to EU "up to the value of EU150" (what they do for amounts over that figure they don't say??) and provide what they call an IOSS number, which you have to give to the carrier to prove that VAT is paid - otherwise the recipient may be charged VAT again on receipt of the item. Presumably this also applies in reverse, to selling things from the EU to UK (have noticed similar refusals to sell to UK from eBay.Fr) so it seems that it's an eBay thing - from which, presumably, they make even more money. Also, as I said before, VAT in EU is apparently 20% but in UK VAT on antiques is 5%, and even our own Customs people rarely know that! I have lost count of the number of times I have been held up for 20% VAT PLUS £15 HANDLING FEES on things bought from outside the UK, and had to PROVE to the bandits in HMRC that 5% was applicable, and not 20%. I can't blame sellers in EU for not wanting to get involved in all this shenanigans.
Steve

This also now is going on for us in the EU, when we buy things from the USA for instance. You have to prove taxes were already paid.
Or you pay a lot more. Before that, only our Customs Department charged, but now it is getting criminal.
Only if we buy things whithin te EU, things remain clean, and we pay nothing extra, not even to our Customs Department.

Regards, Coert.

If you are importing antiques from EU to UK get your seller to put the value as €60 and it sails straight through. 4 days from Germany to UK delivered. As for selling to EU via eBay life is too short, I have stopped

I just checked our postal system, for us, I live in the Netherlands, it is still possible.
My guess is that the seller just doesn't want to do such a thing.
That is it. I have noticed in many of the auctions in Germany the shipping charges for an Iron Cross II are £58 or 250 postcards are £32. Its less than 50% of the sellers that are like this.

Back