Posting Photographs Tutorial

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
As promised, I am starting a detailed description below of how to post photographs on this forum. I realize that some of us from the non computer age have some real difficulties with this issue. However, if I can do it having been born in 1951, anyone can, so do not give up. In addition, help is available from any one of the moderators or myself at: [email protected] we will even post your pics for you if need be.

So here goes.....you take your pics with a digital camera. I would recommend taking pics outside on a cloudy day to avoid shadows. You could also invest in something called a light box if you want to shoot on sunny days, your choice. Once you have up loaded to you computer, you have to use some sort of program to crop the pic or adjust for light problems. I use a program called Picassa or perhaps you have something like Windows Photo Viewer. I am not a Mac user so you folks are on your own in the MAC WORLD.

Ok you have cropped your pics and fixed any other problems, next you have to upload them to a HOST on the internet. I use Photobucket which is free, you could also use a host like Flikr, your choice, but you need to join one of these hosting sites.
Here is what my Photobucket home library looks like:

vwAKdFA.png

Now to copy a pic from your uploaded images/library double left click on the image and it takes you here:

LUMF2WA.png

You can see on the right hand corner top page Shared Links with 4 rectangles underneath each with "code" written in them ........LEFT CLICK on the IMG code. You have just copied your pic from the Photobucket site and are ready to take it to the forum!

To post on the forum, you need to have 2 windows open...one on Phbkt and one on the forum. Starting with the forum window you select which area you want to post in eg. Pickelhaubes Discussion, left click on that and then hit Post a new topic. This will take you to this window:

6JiD2nt.png

Type in the subject of your post in the Subject Box. Underneath this, you will see 11 boxes in a row....a Tool Bar. The first one contains a capital "B" which stands for BOLD
. You can use the tools to underline your text add quotes, italics etc. However, what we are interested in is the Img box which stands for image. Left click the Img box in the tool bar. At this point in the tutorial, I must mention that you can type in text before posting your pic after the pic or even in between multiple pictures.

Ok, to continue, we left clicked on Img and this is what appears...2 square brackets with the cursor flashing in between them. Place your cursor between these and right click, A little window pops up and you click on paste. The url code for the picture has now been pasted on to your forum posting. Here is an example of my most recent postings:

YvDqsE4.png

There are a couple of things to look at above. First look at the code of the first 2 pictures I have posted. The code always begins with [url and ends with [/url]. These 2 pics have been posted successfully. However, #3 has not because if you look at the code it starts and ends with this has to be removed using your cursor delete or back button. Look up at the bottom of the picture that I posted...the code for picture #3 is there but no photo because the [img] has not been removed from the front of the code and from the back. I had to go back and remove the [img] and everything worked fine.
You can view this post in the Period Photograph section of the forum under the Subject: 1st Lt Rudolf v Tiademann

Any questions....feel free to ask. This is a work in progress and I welcome suggestions from other members, anything to make this process simpler or easier to understand. I also wish to thank my son Logan who is also a member and helps me continuously with tech issues. He put the pics from Photobucket and the forum on this post.

Brian

Thanks for your efforts. A good bit of work.

The only thing I would add is that I don't use the toolbar. I just position the cursor at the point in the post where I want the photo and then right click 'paste'.

Patrick

" You can use a other hoste, but it all comes pretty much to the same."
Thanks mate.
Alf

Ditto...I do not know of any other way to post photos. Photobucket is becoming a pain due to their pop up ads and site problems. On the forum, we have shut down the option to host pictures here. We can not do that as it eats up too much space on our site.

Back