Premier Lieutenant Scheffler, 39th Fusiliers, August 1870

Larmo

Greetings all

It's a quiet and rainy Saturday here in Arizona, had a little time on my hands and wanted to work this little esay up, hope you don't mind.

Here are a set of CDV images recently purchased on EBAY. They depict a husband and wife identified as Lieutenant and Frau Scheffler, with period identifications appearing on the reverse of each. They were part of a large 1870 era photo album which was being broken up and the photos sold individually. Fortunately for us, we were able to purchase a number of them and over time we will place them here to share with you .

All of the images we purchased from this album were identified to the individual portrayed, with unit and rank detail included for the soldiers. Men from several infantry, hussar and dragoon regiments were included with some candid photos of enlisted personnel as well.

Today we will have a closer look at one of the soldiers, Lieutenant Karl August Perceval Sheffler, 11th Company, III Battalion, 39th Fusiliers. He received a severe wound to his left arm during the Battle of Spicheren, August 6th 1870, one of the early engagements of the Franco-Prussian War.

At 12:00pm on August 6th the Third Battalion of the 39th Fusilier Regiment was part of the advance guard of the 14th Division entering into the valley prior to the general assault on the Rotherberg height. According to several sources, an incomplete reconnaissance of the French positions by the Prussian cavalry led General Kamacke, commander of the 14th Division, to believe he was facing far fewer enemy troops than actually occupied this position. Descending Drill-ground Hill the III/39R immediately received intense fire from the Chassepot armed French infantry and shellfire from the bronze Napoleons. The III/39R gained the Stiring Wood forcing the French infantry to give way. Reaching the center of the wood French resistance stiffened and the battalion was forced to fight for its life. It is likely that during this two and a half hour ordeal by the III/39R that Lieutenant Sheffler received his life changing wound and perhaps his Iron Cross.

The Prussian troops were successful in removing the French from their positions on the 6th of August, but not without a considerable cost. The 39th Fusiliers alone endured the loss of over 650 men killed and wounded that day.

In the CDV image of Lt Sheffler, he is shown wearing an elaborate arm support sling, with a snap-hook system to ease his efforts in taking the sling on and off. With the 1871 date on the reverse of his photograph, this no doubt illustrates the fact that his wound was not a minor one. His left hand is still encased in a protective glove, perhaps a glove he wore for the rest of his life. Yet his steady gaze and proud bearing attest to his spirit and the pride he felt when awarded the Iron Cross.

Lt. Sheffler remained in the army at least until 1875, serving at the NCO School Weissenfels, in the rank of Premier-Lieutenant.

This information is courtesy of the German General Staff Report The Franco-German War 1870-1871, The Prussian Rang und Quartiere Listen for 1869 & 1875 and the book The Battle of Spicheren by Lt.Col.GFR Henderson.

Hope you enjoyed this little tale, I certainly enjoyed writing it up.

Larry
PS, the EK2 and Spicheren bar are not Scheffler's, thought they'd look good for effect.

39th2.jpg
39th3.jpg

39th9.jpg

Nice story and picture indeed!
He probably had enough convalescence time to grow that huge beard of his as well... :)

Larry,

excellent stuff. And in fact Karl Scheffler went onto serve until 16 January 1892 when he retired as a Major in Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 140. His award of the EK2 was promulgated by A.K.O. of 24 September 1870.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Guys for your comments, I'm very happy you enjoyed it. All of you contribute so much here, I always enjoy your postings :thumb up:

There may be an update later on regarding Lt. Scheffler, some of his brother officers of the 39th are available, I hope I get them.

Larmo

Larry,

according to the regimental history of Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 39, Premier-Lieutenant Scheffler had the two bones of his lower left arm shattered by a gunshot wound whilst leading his platoon in the attampt to take Stiring Wood. Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 39 lost eight officers killed in action at Spicheren and the Brigade Commander, Generalmajor von François (father of WW1 General der Infanterie Hermann von François), was also killed.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Glenn

Where did you come up with the information on the nature of his wound? Fascinating. Oops, just re-read your comment you have the unit history.

You must have a fabulous library Glenn :notworthy: .

The loss of General Francois is a famous incident during this battle, pierced by five bullets whilst leading his men up the Rotherberg, sword in hand. There is a period illustration or Tableau, illustrating this event by von Werner. The men accompanying the general in this illustration are attributed to the 9th Co/39R. The artist evidently did his homework as the soldiers look to be armed with M1860 Fusilier Gewehrs.

Larry

39th6.jpg

Larry,

Brunow von François had won the pour le mérite as the commander of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 58 in the Austro-Prussian War of 1866. He is pictured here as an Oberst. Those guys would have been from 9./Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 39. He was with that company when he was hit.

Regards
Glenn

francois.jpg

Greetings all

It's a quiet and rainy Saturday here in Arizona, had a little time on my hands and wanted to work this little esay up, hope you don't mind.

Here are a set of CDV images recently purchased on EBAY. They depict a husband and wife identified as Lieutenant and Frau Scheffler, with period identifications appearing on the reverse of each. They were part of a large 1870 era photo album which was being broken up and the photos sold individually. Fortunately for us, we were able to purchase a number of them and over time we will place them here to share with you .

All of the images we purchased from this album were identified to the individual portrayed, with unit and rank detail included for the soldiers. Men from several infantry, hussar and dragoon regiments were included with some candid photos of enlisted personnel as well.

Today we will have a closer look at one of the soldiers, Lieutenant Karl August Perceval Sheffler, 11th Company, III Battalion, 39th Fusiliers. He received a severe wound to his left arm during the Battle of Spicheren, August 6th 1870, one of the early engagements of the Franco-Prussian War.

At 12:00pm on August 6th the Third Battalion of the 39th Fusilier Regiment was part of the advance guard of the 14th Division entering into the valley prior to the general assault on the Rotherberg height. According to several sources, an incomplete reconnaissance of the French positions by the Prussian cavalry led General Kamacke, commander of the 14th Division, to believe he was facing far fewer enemy troops than actually occupied this position. Descending Drill-ground Hill the III/39R immediately received intense fire from the Chassepot armed French infantry and shellfire from the bronze Napoleons. The III/39R gained the Stiring Wood forcing the French infantry to give way. Reaching the center of the wood French resistance stiffened and the battalion was forced to fight for its life. It is likely that during this two and a half hour ordeal by the III/39R that Lieutenant Sheffler received his life changing wound and perhaps his Iron Cross.

The Prussian troops were successful in removing the French from their positions on the 6th of August, but not without a considerable cost. The 39th Fusiliers alone endured the loss of over 650 men killed and wounded that day.

In the CDV image of Lt Sheffler, he is shown wearing an elaborate arm support sling, with a snap-hook system to ease his efforts in taking the sling on and off. With the 1871 date on the reverse of his photograph, this no doubt illustrates the fact that his wound was not a minor one. His left hand is still encased in a protective glove, perhaps a glove he wore for the rest of his life. Yet his steady gaze and proud bearing attest to his spirit and the pride he felt when awarded the Iron Cross.

Lt. Sheffler remained in the army at least until 1875, serving at the NCO School Weissenfels, in the rank of Premier-Lieutenant.

This information is courtesy of the German General Staff Report The Franco-German War 1870-1871, The Prussian Rang und Quartiere Listen for 1869 & 1875 and the book The Battle of Spicheren by Lt.Col.GFR Henderson.

Hope you enjoyed this little tale, I certainly enjoyed writing it up.

Larry
PS, the EK2 and Spicheren bar are not Scheffler's, thought they'd look good for effect.

39th2.jpg
39th3.jpg

39th9.jpg
Good morning from Germany,
I read this information about Percy Scheffler today and I was very happy about the photos. My grandparents both worked for Percy Scheffler and his wife Helene Scheibler in Krefeld / North Rhine-Westphalia. Unfortunately, Percy Scheffler died in 1906. But my mother and her sisters talked a lot about his wife. You visited her often.
Thanks for letting me learn so much more about Percy here.
Greetings Margaret

Back