Prince Adalbert at the front

Great photo! I am no medals guy but....are we not seeing 3 officers with their newly awarded EK II 's?? Again, excuse my ignorance but I always thought officers got the EK 1st class, or did they have to earn the EK II and then get the 1st class later??

Great photo! I am no medals guy but....are we not seeing 3 officers with their newly awarded EK II 's?? Again, excuse my ignorance but I always thought officers got the EK 1st class, or did they have to earn the EK II and then get the 1st class later??
I don't know the answer to that question
but come to think about it
maybe that is the reason that Prince Adalbert was at the front
to hand out the awards ?
G R 4 is the regiment that he was a al suite to
Steve

As for the EK, one received the EKII prior to the EKI. I think they may been instances of both being awarded the same time in WW1 but I know there were examples of both at the same time in WW2

As for the EK, one received the EKII prior to the EKI. I think they may been instances of both being awarded the same time in WW1 but I know there were examples of both at the same time in WW2
I stand to be corrected on this, but my understanding is that you were only allowed to wear the EKII for 24 hours after it was awarded. After that you wore the ribbon in the 2nd button hole. The EKI was allowed to be worn immediately after it being awarded.

If that's correct then these men have just been decorated.

Here is Prince Adalbert at the front wearingPrince A at the front .jpg
the Feldgrau uniform of Grenadier Regt.4
He is most often seen in his Naval uniform.
SteveView attachment 24359
I located another photo that I have in this series.
I think it proves that Prince Adalbert was at the front to award the Iron Cross
to soldiers of Grenadier Regt 4
over to the left might be the regiment Commander
Steve

Reactions: ccj
Steve,

the regimental commander is to be seen in both photographs. In the first, the field officer with Iron Cross first class and Johanniter Order breast badge and of course in the second behind the Prince: Oberst Friedrich von Massow who commanded for pretty much the entire war before assuming a brigade command in August 1918. Charakter as a Generalmajor on 2 June 1919.

Regards
Glenn

Steve,

the regimental commander is to be seen in both photographs. In the first, the field officer with Iron Cross first class and Johanniter Order breast badge and of course in the second behind the Prince: Oberst Friedrich von Massow who commanded for pretty much the entire war before assuming a brigade command in August 1918. Charakter as a Generalmajor on 2 June 1919.

Regards
Glenn
Thanks for I D and the information.
The 2 photos were printed one after the other.
5215 the other number got cut off by the scan.
Odd the Commander wears a cloth hat in 1 photo
then his helmet with a cover and # 4
thanks
Steve

Back