Private I.D.

Hey you more knowledgable ebay veterans, whats the deal with all this "Bidders ID kept private" business? Why do it? It's happening with the thing I'm bidding on at the moment and it seems like I'm being sucked in. :shock:

Hi Mike:

Most often, it is a tactic employed by the spurious seller to prevent bidders from being contacted by well intentioned eBay members wishing to warn them about shill bidders, fake items, etc.

That A.B. guy from Nottingham uses this feature (small wonder). So does antiksfuchs.

I suppose it was originally intended to protect sellers from third parties soliciting bidders with comparable items. However, I think most sellers use it as a fraud enabler.

I recently read that 1.8 billion USD of internet fraud was perpetrated last year and most of this was through eBay alone. A band of Romanians in the UK proved themselves quite adept at selling items they didn't even own through bogus second chance offers.

As long as eBay rakes in the bucks from every sale, bogus or legit, they don't care in the least. That is, they won't until they get slapped with the biggest class action lawsuit since tobacco.

Chas.

Thanks Chas - it all helps. I backed off on this as the price went a bit silly!

Mike.

PS. That Kurrassier - thats the one! Well done old son!! :D

Hi Chas,

Yes, you are so right, I was burn once on ebay last year, someone pretended to be the seller and contacted me that the winner had rejected the haube, well, it was a saxon EM, and very stupidly, out of impulse and 'happiness', i didnt even check and agreed and wired the payment asap, of course, the saxon never arrived.
But the creep's address was in the US tho.

cheers,
Bambang

private ID auctions scare me to death, and the Second chance offers are coming out of the woodwork like crazy now as well.

If I ever consider a second chance offer, I make sure the seller is legit and ask for more photo's, if they really have the item, they should be able to do this..

If you get no response at all, probably not legit?

James

James LeBrasseur said:
private ID auctions scare me to death, and the Second chance offers are coming out of the woodwork like crazy now as well.

If I ever consider a second chance offer, I make sure the seller is legit and ask for more photo's, if they really have the item, they should be able to do this..

If you get no response at all, probably not legit?

James

I'm with James! Only accept second chance offers from sellers you know and trust. I buy mostly Imperial German postcards (which aren't nearly as expensive as pickelhauben!!!). I have two German fellows I've been buying from since I started collecting. Occasionally I'll lose an auction and they'll offer me a duplicate postcard they have and I'll take it, but as I said, I've been buy from them for a long time.

Back