Prussian 6th Grenadiers Enlisted Ranks pattern 1895

Steve Nick

This helmet is a companion piece to the “Colberg Grenadiers” helmet I posted a few days ago. This is not a restoration job. This one is all original with the exception of the chinstrap.

West Prussian Grenadier Regiment "Graf Kleist von Nollendorf" Nr.6. The regiment was raised on October, 14, 1772 and was garrisoned at Posen. It was part of the 5th Corps District, 10th Division.

The helmet is marked inside the shell dome to “B.A.V, 1912” Bekleidungsampt –5th Army Corps,issued in 1912
“2B” 2nd Battalion
“55” size
It is maker stamped “Franz Cobau – Berlin.”

On March 22, 1897 Kaiser Wilhelm II authorized the introduction of a new front plate (Wappen) very similar to the Gardes Eagle front plate for the 7th Prussian Line Grenadier Regiment (2nd West Prussian) replacing the previous pattern which was essentially a Prussian Line Eagle with an intertwined FWR cypher.

The new Garde style Grenadier plate was phased into the remaining eleven Prussian Grenadier Regiments over the next 18 years. The 6th Regiment received authorization to wear the new Grenadier plate on August 26, 1913.

Given that this helmet was issued in 1912 it must have briefly worn the old-style front plate until 1913.

It has a chinstrap with wartime steel fittings. It’s the strap that came with the helmet and is awaiting a period proper brass fitted strap.

Attachments

• DSC_1254.JPG
    DSC_1254.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 1,703
  • DSC_1248.JPG
    DSC_1248.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,703
  • DSC_1251.JPG
    DSC_1251.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,706
  • DSC_1243.JPG
    DSC_1243.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,708
  • DSC_1246.JPG
    DSC_1246.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,708
Very nice to have this helmet to G R 6 .
I collect the Grenadiers 1 thru 12
I have the enlisted Waffenrock for G R 6
for me it was hard to find
Steve McFarland

KAGGR#1 said:
Very nice to have this helmet to G R 6 .
I collect the Grenadiers 1 thru 12
I have the enlisted Waffenrock for G R 6
for me it was hard to find
Steve McFarland

Steve:

So you have an example of a helmet from each regiment?

I thought I was doing well to find two of them.

Thanks for the response.

Steve

b.loree said:
Excellent piece! The liner on that helmet is in amazing condition.

Thanks Brian.

The entire helmet is in great shape, just need to find a brass fittings chinstrap for it.

Steve

Tony without Kaiser said:
Unusual how? White painted unit markings are relatively common, I'm sure you have had some. They are a favourite of mine.

Unusual, in that I've never encountered one.

Must be contrary to probabilies but I've never owned a helmet with white painted markings and I had about forty helmets at one time. Not all were marked being Private Purchased but the rest were all either stamped or black ink marked.

Steve Nick said:
I've never owned a helmet with white painted markings and I had about forty helmets at one time.

BA IX helmets are especially showing such markings. As I am living in this german area near the danish border (Schleswig-Flensburg), they are my favorites too \:D/

Philippe
:wink:

argonne said:
Steve Nick said:
I've never owned a helmet with white painted markings and I had about forty helmets at one time.

BA IX helmets are especially showing such markings. As I am living in this german area near the danish border (Schleswig-Flensburg), they are my favorites too \:D/

Philippe
:wink:

As a confirmation, Mecklemburg Dragoner helmets - also from BA IX - frequently show these white paint markings.

L1062117_zpsuumiimuz.jpg

Hello Steve ;
I missed your question . Sorry .
From memory without going into my room
here is what I have in enlisted helmets of the Prussian Grenadiers 1 - 12
G R 1
G R 4 old eagle
G R 4 new eagle
G R 6
G R 7 leather
G R 7 felt
G R 8 fugal horn side lug
G R 8 star side lug
G R 9 old eagle
G R 9 new eagle ( 2 of them )
G R 9 felt
G R 12
Steve

That is super .
Thanks for the post and the photos
I would guess that a lot collectors do not about the
enlisted man's helmets of L G R 8
or do not look for them .
Steve

Steve:

The never ending education process continues...

I have never seen an M91 post with either a star or bugle as part of the casting. Had no idea they existed.

Thanks for posting these examples.

Back