Prussian Artillery Felt

Peter B

My newest helmet. Interesting in that it feels like it is metal under the felt. Is that possible? When you tap it, it almost sounds metallic.

The wappen has definitely seen better days. The orb has lost its cross and the small eagle has lost its head. I do have a period orb with cross (see picture) on the way so I might try and repair that. I have a repro strap on it or now. Liner is missing as well as you can see. Toying with the idea of putting one of Brian's liners in (have it) but am wondering now how hard it would be to get thread through the helmet. It really almost feels like it is a tin helmet with thin felt over it.

There are some markings and a name, pretty much impossible to read but if anyone thinks they can figure anything out I would be glad to know.

Looks nice beside my Guard Felt and my other Artillery and Guard helmets.

Cheers.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1158.jpeg
    IMG_1158.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 36
More pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 11
Never seen a metal helmet body covered with felt.
In my opinion could be a pressed cardboard body covered with felt.
Wonderful helmet. Congrats Peter.

Never seen a metal helmet body covered with felt.
In my opinion could be a pressed cardboard body covered with felt.
Wonderful helmet. Congrats Peter.
Thanks.:) It has perfect form, due to whatever the material under the felt is. And a very large size, even fits my big head!

Here are a couple pictures of the edge, certainly looks like shiny metal under the felt. A magnet will not stick to it.

Almost makes me think of that other post where the helmet might have been made of some early form of plastic or bakelite.

If it's cardboard it is really really tough cardboard. You can see where some felt has worn off, exposing what is underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 28
It's very hard to get a good picture due to the focus but it is definitely worn off felt. You can see the material underneath. It's all around the rim and definitely shows as worn off felt and not dirt. If you could see it in person you would see what I mean.

Thanks for your observation though.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_1267 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1267 (1).jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 19
James and I encountered an aluminum Bavarian officer helmet at the SOS a few years ago.

It is definitely very light and that would make sense from the feel of it. I quick internet search and old/dirty aluminum can turn black, which is what the exposed material looks like.

I would also suggest you pull up the liner so you can see how it is fastened to the shell around the rim. Can you see the usual liner stitches around the outside of the shell?

I have a felt Prussian: The oil cloth liner is stitched to a cloth band like lamp wick. This band and liner were then glued to the inside of the shell. I had to reglue this as the old hide glue had let go

I would also suggest you pull up the liner so you can see how it is fastened to the shell around the rim. Can you see the usual liner stitches around the outside of the shell?
No liner. Pictures attached. I just now noticed for the first time that there are two very small holes where brads to hold on front trim might have been, but no ghost of trim marks. You can see them in that earlier picture I posted above responding to the dirt comment. Strange?

I wonder if the holes were there for trim but as they were stopping putting it on they never did? Then the holes just showed up due to wear?

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 10
I don't see how it can be a metal helmet as I can see normal stitching in your photos. It could also be that the felt on this is thicker and it has had a lot of "sizing" applied to the felt in order to retain this shape. Some of these felts are definitely harder than others.

You are probably right. I was wondering how I would get a needle through the holes and if it was metal they would probably be easier to get a needle through. I thought maybe it was some kind of early plastic as well given how hard it is. If it’s cardboard based it really is hard. Are most felts just felt that has been stiffened?

Back