Prussian Custom Officer Restitch

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Alan gave this to me at the SOS for front visor restitch. I have seen these but never worked on one. The before pictures:
IMG_0227-L.jpg

Obviously, the scales have lost their original front fastener.
IMG_0228-L.jpg

The piece has no kokarden which I believe it should to be complete. The stitching on the front visor is completely gone.
IMG_0230-L.jpg

Over all, the helmet is in very good condition.
IMG_0236-L.jpg

This piece has a satin lining which is in delicate condition. Unfortunately, the restitch did not help this. The helmet has very fine stitching...100+ stitch holes which means that my hand, needle and thread are passing through 100+ times and the helmet is being subjected to a lot of back and forth movement. Obviously, you try and be as careful as you can but one can not control hundred year old leather and fabric.
IMG_0238-L.jpg

The liners on all pickelhauben have to be pulled up and out of the shell in order to clean out stitch holes and restitch. The officer liner is especially problematic.
IMG_0240-L.jpg

Visor is completely loose.
IMG_0237-L.jpg

The unique "Customs" spike which appears to be a 2 piece construction with 2 diamond shaped vent holes.
IMG_0239-L.jpg

Wappen, reverse side.
IMG_0243-L.jpg

All fittings removed, you can see how fine the stitching is....a nightmare really! :( To be continued......

Back