Prussian Duke's Car Pennant

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I picked this up at the SOS several years ago. The seller had shopped it to various dealers near the end of the Show with no takers. However, the piece to my eyes, looked original and the quality of the hand made manufacture was exceptional. Consequently, I bought it despite the fact the Prussian style eagle is a bit different than normal. One of our prime Historical researchers, aka "The Sandman" tracked this down. Here are some photos:
IMG_3684.jpeg
The piece is double sided, hand made and exquisitely embroidered.
IMG_3685.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg
Amazing embroidery work.

That's really cool Brian. I had no idea that any coat of arms used a headless eagle until seeing the link that Sandy provided. It's interesting to see their actual coat of arms. And at the top of their website they show 2-headless eagles, one with a star where the head would be. Very interesting indeed! When I first saw your posting of it here I though it was somehow incomplete or unfinished with no head on the eagle.

Excellent research work Sandy! No surprise here with your superb research skills!

That's amazing to have a noble house name with your flag! Congratulations on a great find!

Best Wishes,

Alan

A big thank you Sandy for providing that link! I had posted this item years ago but subsequently failed to write down the name of the noble family to which it belongs. I will not make that mistake a second time! (y) Ironically, if the family's ancestor had not been punished for fratricide there would be no way to identify this pennant. In addition, this web site concentrates solely on the medieval background of the family, it would be very interesting to track down their "military service" prior to and during WW1.

Last edited:
Back