Prussian EM - M15 Uhlan Tschapka

Spiker

Prussian M15 Uhlan Tschapka with cover.
Fiber body helmet with enamel painted steel top.
The cover is fastened by a series of hooks and eyes down on the side and secured to the helmet by two frontal clips and an elasticated rear.

Just great Ed, the Tschapka... and the picture. I wonder what the tattoo on the horse's hind leg stands for.

Thanks Bruno.
This is from the Ulanen-Regiments Hennigs v. Treffenfeld (Altmärkisches) Nr. 16.
So the brand or tattoo could be I.16, although it looks like an L
Don’t know what the I or L would stand for.

:thumb up: Tschapka !!! Great !

The brand is very interesting !

"L" ??

But: a famous Regiment !

Von Bredow's "Death Ride"[edit]

The Battle of Mars-La-Tour is also notable for one of the very last successful cavalry charges of modern warfare.[1] Harassed by French artillery each time he redeployed his forces following a French attack, his infantry reserves exhausted and fearing that his shaky left flank was about to be charged by French cavalry, General von Alvensleben sent a message to the commander of the nearby 12th Cavalry Brigade, Major-General Friedrich Wilhelm Adalbert von Bredow, demanding that he silence French General François Canrobert's artillery and forestall a French cavalry charge with one of his own.

Noting that "it will cost what it will", von Bredow took his time to organize the brigade, consisting of the 7th Cuirassiers, 19th Dragoons, and 16th Uhlans. In what would become known as "Von Bredow's Death Ride", the cavalrymen rode out from Prussian lines at 14:00, von Bredow using the terrain and gun smoke to mask movements from French observers until the very last moment. Bursting into view some 1000 meters from the French lines, the Prussian cavalry charged into and broke through the French gun lines, causing widespread panic and scattering Canrobert's soldiers in all directions. Two brigades of French cavalry attempted to counter-charge into Bredow's flank and rear, but were partially dispersed by Canrobert's infantry, who gunned down any cavalrymen they could see without discrimination.

Having silenced the French artillery, neutralized the French cavalry, and panicked the French infantry, von Bredow's brigade managed to extricate itself and withdrew to their own lines. Of the 800 horsemen who had started out, only 420 returned.[1] Among the wounded from the 12th Brigade was Lieutenant Herbert von Bismarck, son of the Prussian chancellor Otto von Bismarck

OMG Ed, are you teasing us again with this excellent Tshapka???? Great piece and great history added By Francis!

Adler

Great picture !

Have a look at the thightly roled up lance pennant. Served as a "stopper" when entering the target.
Francis

that a nice one
great find with its correct cover both in great condition
nicely done =D>

jonas

Congratulations on a great tschapka & field cover Ed, they are truly a great set! :bravo:

Thanks for the great history Francis, I enjoyed learning more about the regiment! =D>

Best Regards,

Alan

Does anyone know the connection between the 17th Hussars whose busbies bear the name Mars la Tour on their busby banners and the three cavalry regiments that participated in the battle?
Jim

13. Kav. Brig., 5. Kav. Div: Hu Regt Nr 17 before 1400 Hrs
12.Kav Bde (Bredow): Kü Regt Nr 7/Ul Regt Nr 16/Dr Regt Nr 19 "Death Ride" : From 1400 on

Same day, Same battle, not in the Bredow Brigade; not in that fight: (not in the famous Totenritt "Death Ride")

Francis

Thank you Francis. I appreciate the info. It is interesting that only the 17th was recognized with the Honor Banner.
Jim

Back