Prussian Ersatz Cork Helmet

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the delay in getting these photo's posted. This is an exceptional example of a Prussian Cork Ersatz helmet.

corkprussian001.jpg

corkprussian002.jpg

corkprussian003.jpg

corkprussian004.jpg

corkprussian005.jpg

corkprussian006.jpg

corkprussian007.jpg

corkprussian008.jpg

corkprussian009.jpg

corkprussian010.jpg

corkprussian011.jpg

corkprussian012.jpg

Small piece of the back visor missing, which gives us a glimpse of the inside working of the visor.

thanks

James

The hole in the visor is excellent! Do you have a close-up picture of how the chin strap is connected on the inside? Interesting method on the liner!

Slim; My dream enlisted helmet! Please tell me it didnt come from the Minnesota area. Nice pick up anyhow. Congrats. :D :D Jerry

Really nice, great pictures! I have a similar helmet but in very bad condition and lacking the chin strap. Only the leather pieces under the rivets remain.

kork_riemen_2.jpg

Very sweet James! Excellent pics. Congrats on your purchase! I have a surprise coming in the mail which I will be posting as soon as I receive it. Brian

I have a relatively interesting letter concerning these helmets from the producer Bortfeldt. Ersatz collectors might find interesting.

It is made of cork with a “waterproof wool material cover”. This has erroneously been reported as a “gray cotton cover”. The production of the metal items was going to be done locally. It is very welcome substitute helmet was being offered because "the large wartime demand for the fabrication of leather spike helmets cannot be met" We had figured this out but here it is in writing from October 1914! A leather shortage was not caused at this time because of the British blockade. The helmets were offered at eight marks 50 complete. Prewar bulk orders (Wunderlich) seem to have been made for low class helmets at seven marks 80. So it seems that this guy was making a nice little piece from every helmet sold. It also says that they were FOB to the Army Corps. The chin strap was made up of cow skin leather. The claim is that these helmets were lighter, more flexible, and did not shrink nor retain water like the Leather helmets. So shrinkage was a known problem even then.

Based on some other information I now have it seems as though this waterproof was a relatively loose term. Not sure exactly how waterproof the waterproof cover was… As I explore ersatz helmets I am reminded of a government that needs something urgently… if you want it bad you get it bad.

I am starting to feel another article coming along and I was just getting going on the doctrine stuff…

Nice! Is that a front trim of metal? That's rather rare on cork helmets, I cannot recall one right now. Also it almost looks like the spike and eagle are grey because they are so dull compared with shiny parts such as the sword grip.

Robert said:
Nice! Is that a front trim of metal? That's rather rare on cork helmets, I cannot recall one right now. Also it almost looks like the spike and eagle are grey because they are so dull compared with shiny parts such as the sword grip.

A factory issued Ersatz cork would not have metal trim. I think it could be a cork with a replaced front visor and trim possibly from an Ersatz felt? Below is one repaired with an M95 visor. That would make it an even better photo in my books. Joe, could you email me a LARGE scan of the sabre please? Or the whole guy? Thank you.

Repaired_cork.jpg

Nice!!

I have a cork helmet that I got from Floyd T. many years ago... nowhere near as nice as this one!

:D Ron

Back