Prussian Felt Ersatz

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
This one just came in, a very nice clean and complete example.

James

ersatz%20002.jpg

ersatz%20003.jpg

ersatz%20004.jpg

ersatz%20005.jpg

ersatz%20001.jpg

Minnesota's Slim was kind enough to put this on our list. I think this is an interesting Mark and this is what I think it's is I emphasize the word think:

BIA XVIIIAK g 54

The 54 is a size I think. The letter g is interesting because it may be a lowercased G. Each of the examples that we have -- and this is the third different type from this specific BIA has a letter after the corps number. The other two examples are the letter F. Both of the other two examples from this corps are lowercase. We have now seen thanks to list that the letter G. is not only restricted to ersatz steel helmets. I think it is worth studying but who knows -- it could be a nine. Of course I would welcome any comments...

James also sent in a Bavarian Field artillery Mark- thanks James!

I am probably wrong, but couldn't it simply be the G for Größe (size)?

???

Should be a capital letter, but who knows with these war helmets...

wihu61 said:
//couldn't it simply be the G for Größe (size)?//
I wouldn't rule that out, but I have also seen the word, Kopfweite, used to denote helmet size (on an Überzug).

PICT0022-1.jpg

However, within the context of Joe's discussion, the "G's" I've seen, like the one on James' Stahlblech, have all been capitlals and positioned below the Korps number. See link:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3503

My helmet is marked the same as James'

P1010967.jpg

P1010964.jpg

Chas.

I am probably wrong, but couldn't it simply be the G for Größe (size)?

In this case I think it could be.

Should be a capital letter, but who knows with these war helmets...

I think that varied by corps -- but that is only observation of examples nothing in writing.
bjaxVIII.jpg

An interesting comparison is that the example shown by Chas is from an Army Corps that used capital letters.
bjavii_3.jpg

bjavii_5.jpg

Upgrading James? I would have thought you would have one of these 'no brim trim' examples by now? It is a very nice clean example as you said. Way to go!

Hello,

Beautiful helm and nicely marked too! I have but one such helm with standard wartime fittings. No markings though.

Thanks for sharing the unit/depot stamps on the helms. Excellent reference.

Lurch

this is an old topic but i want to blow new life in it
so from what i learnd over the years is that the two letters 'g' and 'f' stand for
'g' garnisonsbraugbar.
the eisenblech helmet with that mark whas only aloud of wearing in the garnison due to the fackt that if he was shot near the head the had heavy head injuries cousing from schapnel
'f' feldbraugbar
when a helmet went in a repair unit after beeing repaired the judged it if the soldier could wear it back in the field or not by stamping it with the letter 'f'

jonas

Back