Prussian Grenadier OR's Wappen

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished this helmet for a member and thought I would post 2 photos of this unique Grenadier wappen. Although the bird is the same, there is no Garde Star on the Grenadier and the sword hilt is S shaped rather than square. I do not have one of these in my wappen collection and in my experience both helmet and wappen are rare. In my opinion, much of the value of our rare helmets, perhaps 70% lies in their wappen. A unique wappen, only awarded to one or two Regiments pushes up the price considerably. Really, many of the Regts. awarded the Napoleonic Bandeaus are basic Prussian line eagles BUT with that Battle Honour Ribbon.....$$$. And that's why we collectors shell out the big bucks!!
3775E30B-A51F-4316-B796-8519D2291F6E_1_201_a.jpeg
74BB430B-0541-4057-AD2E-7CD2D7902B5B_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
I just finished this helmet for a member and thought I would post 2 photos of this unique Grenadier wappen. Although the bird is the same, there is no Garde Star on the Grenadier and the sword hilt is S shaped rather than square. I do not have one of these in my wappen collection and in my experience both helmet and wappen are rare. In my opinion, much of the value of our rare helmets, perhaps 70% lies in their wappen. A unique wappen, only awarded to one or two Regiments pushes up the price considerably. Really, many of the Regts. awarded the Napoleonic Bandeaus are basic Prussian line eagles BUT with that Battle Honour Ribbon.....$$$. And that's why we collectors shell out the big bucks!!
View attachment 21875
View attachment 21876
Brian ;
I have never paid any attention to the sword hilt .I have quite a few Prussian Grenadier helmets both Officer and e m.
Example I have two officers helmets for L G R 8. I know that both are 100 % correct .One has an S curved hilt the other
is straight .To me the kicker is the artichoke and not the g\Garde eagle on the end of the septor
A Garde Grenadier plate will always have the Garde eagle .For fun when I have the time I will count my Grenadier helmets
and report back ; curved sword hilits vs straight .
At any rate a very nice plate that you show here
Steve

View attachment 21875
View attachment 21876
Brian ;
Here are a couple of lose plates that I have .
Feldgrau example has straight sword hilt and also a Garde eagle
but no holes for a Garde star
SteveG R plate.JPGPlate F G.JPG

Here are my 2 L G R offiers helmets
I hope that we can see the difference in the front plates
one is straight hilt
the other is curved
both from the same regiment
L G R 8
Steve

L G R 8 officer.jpegL G R 8 officer.JPG

Brian ;
I have never paid any attention to the sword hilt .I have quite a few Prussian Grenadier helmets both Officer and e m.
Example I have two officers helmets for L G R 8. I know that both are 100 % correct .One has an S curved hilt the other
is straight .To me the kicker is the artichoke and not the g\Garde eagle on the end of the septor
A Garde Grenadier plate will always have the Garde eagle .For fun when I have the time I will count my Grenadier helmets
and report back ; curved sword hilits vs straight .
At any rate a very nice plate that you show here
Steve
Brian ;
Just for fun and now for my own information
I just did review of my Prussian Grenadier helmets
wide winged "new " eagle only
here is the report
7 Officers helmets ; 6 with S curve sword hilt
1 with straight sword hilt ( L G R 8 )
14 enlisted men's helmets ; all 14 S curve sword hilt
1 e m Feldgrau S curved sword hilt
Steve

The egale was called „Grenadier-Eagle“ or „Old Guarde-Eagle“ and was different in the „S“ curved sword hilt, small differences in the Scepter and tail feathers. It was mentioned in several old books, like „Die Uniformen der Deutschen Armee II“ and Paul Pietsch mentioned the Eagle too.

Last edited:
Brian, Steve,
Excellent information; thank you both for sharing the pictures of the unique style of these particular units wappen. Sandy, thank you as well for the additional background.
Best regards,
John

Back