Prussian Infantry Officer Schirmmütze M1915

RON

Well gentlemen, I ended-up buying that visor cap I was discussing with some of you in another post recently after making the seller an offer slightly under his asking price...

On the bright side, the cap looks, feels and smells original. It displays the war-time feature of having a lower quality cloth under the central red band. The original owner's name ('G. Schmidt') is written on the lining with what looks like Regiment affiliation underneath (?) that I can't make out (seems to end with '145'?). Another nice characteristic of a field-worn cap found here: The wear on the bottom interior of the visor from the owner's thumb...

As for the issues I've counted with this cap so far:
> Slightly loose visor and some wear/tears along the rim
> The wool band behind the alkor sweat band has completely disintegrated with only a few flakes left... Probably eaten by the moth larvae that obviously lived in there at some point, judging from the empty tiny cocoons I found
> The Reichs cockade is thicker than its Prussian counterpart... Different maker or replacement/upgrade? (doesn't pierce through liner though)
> The Prussian cockade isn't centered on the red band although there are no traces of a chinstrap ever been there; again: Replaced/upgraded cockade?
> What's that oval stain encompassing Owner's name & Rgt.?
> Finally, I noticed a couple of green paint smudges near both visor extremities (circled in blue in the 2nd to last photo hereafter)... Although I recall seeing a similar 'imperfection' on one of Tony's M15 (green) visors, I was wondering if this wasn't a sign of post-war tampering (e.g. painting a regular/M1910 black visor green)?

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915c-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915f-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915g-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915h-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915k-1.jpg
PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915ss.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915p-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915q.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915r.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915t.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915m-1.jpg
PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915l-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1915-PaintSmudges-1.jpg

Caps-PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzenVisorCapsM1910M1915.jpg

Very handsome cap in my opinion. Looks like a textbook example.

As for that oval stain on the liner, that is most likely the grease from a German officers hair on top of his head. I have seen these faked before for the sake of authenticity but yours looks like the real deal grease. Its kind of gross or really really cool, depends on how you look at it.

Hey Eric: Photo shooting these toys is becoming a real pleasure. Sometimes I wonder if I don't enjoy looking at the photos more than the actual item? :-k

Hi Chris: I think the handwritten name, the thumb wear on the inner visor, and the grease stain you just clarified are pretty cool elements that add to the hat's charm and 'been there' feel... Thanks!

I can now tick-off one of the 'issues' raised above. What about the rest, especially the difference in cockade thickness... most importantly, why is that other visor hat glowing?! (see photo here: http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) :? 8-[

weirdpyramid said:
What about the rest, especially the difference in cockade thickness...

I am not sure if there is a definitive answer to this one, I have seen textbook examples with the mix of the "bulged" cockade and a not "bulged" cockade. Do you have 'The German Army in the First World War" book by Jurgen Kraus? Lots of examples of the mixed cockades. I wouldn't read to much into it, unless you see some evidence of tampering. Extra holes on any piece of headgear are not for me, no matter what the story is, I just dont like the element of doubt.

give this a look, very similar to your cap....

https://www.weitze.net/detail/74/Preussen_feldgraue_Schirmmuetze_aus_dem_Besitz_von_Prinz_Heinrich_von_Preussen_als_Generalfeldmarschall_und_Chef_des_Fuesilier_Regiments_Nr_35__62274_e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the black light photo, thats a hard one. I have too used that technique to check out my caps, usually to detect glowing white stitching or sewing machine stitching. Not sure really what to say about the glowing red in your cap. Maybe give this a read......

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/f/blblacklight.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Chris,

That Weitze cap does appear to have its Reichs cockade thicker than the Prussian one so I'm not gonna give it more thought, especially that there's no evidence of tampering that I can see except maybe the fact that my Prussian cockade isn't centered on the red centerband.
Anyway, the Weitze asking price--close to $2,400 or 4x what I paid!--really made me feel better about my 'investment' so thanks again! :D

As for my other (M1910) cap's red centerband glowing under a black light, the mystery remains especially that it looks A-OK and I trust the seller... that link you shared does mention that "white paper made post-1950 contains fluorescent chemicals while older paper doesn't". But I couldn't find anything on old fabrics, except the possibility of fluorescence after a wash, but I doubt anyone washed my cap :wink: ...

RON said:
Anyway, the Weitze asking price--close to $2,400 or 4x what I paid!--really made me feel better about my 'investment' so thanks again!

Not to say your cap isn't a investment because it should be and I am sure you aren't interested in a investment :wink: but the Weitze cap has one little detail that sets it apart from yours. The Weitze Schirmmütze has the crown monogram ownership of a General for Prinz Heinrich von Preußen!!! It is a small detail but if original only a very very select few could have owned this cap. I research the monogram and it seems to me legit to me.

Back