Prussian Jäger zu Pferd Enlisted Man’s Pickelhaube

Maple Creek

This is another out-of-the-woodwork piece that I bought a few months ago. It was brought back from Europe by an American WWI vet. The person who sold the helmet to me had bought it from the vet in the 1960s. The helmet came to me missing one chinscale. By a small miracle a member of this forum had a scale in his parts collection that was an exact match for this piece. The helmet is in really top condition – one of the very best I’ve seen. It’s complete except for the small leather chinstrap section. It even has one of two original leather pieces to hold the front plate in place. It is marked to JzP 8th Regiment size 57. The interior dome is stamped “C.E.JUNCKER 1915.”

I consider these JzP Regiment 1-8 helmets to be among the most handsome of all pickelhaubes. I know I’m going to feel some seller’s remorse when I let this one go, but if I don’t sell it, then I’ll be collecting pickelhaubes and that would be a bad thing, right? : )

$2,695 + postage and insurance OBO

Looking for a Greek Model 1915/18 steel helmetJzP_Front.jpgJzP_3QtrsR.jpgJzP_Left.jpgJzP_Right.jpgJzP_Back.jpgJzP_8JP 57.jpgJzP_CS detail.jpgJzP_Interior.jpgJzP_Wappen.jpg

Attachments

• JzP_RK.jpg
    JzP_RK.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 13
Nice helmet, Mark! And nice pictures...
Is there a number stamped on the shell under the eagle, and a matching number painted on the eagle wing?
Thank you;

Nice helmet, Mark! And nice pictures...
Is there a number stamped on the shell under the eagle, and a matching number painted on the eagle wing?
Thank you;
I hadn’t noticed before but yes. # 168. Why was this done? I would think that if you were assembling a bunch of these helmets it wouldn’t be necessary to match each helmet to a unique plate. At any rate, interesting. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Attachments

• C8A24E33-89AB-4957-9D43-D6188CB0BCCA.jpeg
    C8A24E33-89AB-4957-9D43-D6188CB0BCCA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
I hadn’t noticed before but yes. # 168. Why was this done? I would think that if you were assembling a bunch of these helmets it wouldn’t be necessary to match each helmet to a unique plate. At any rate, interesting. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I have only seen this on JzP helmets, and actually only on 8.J.P helmets (correct me if I'm wrong)! I do not know the story behind this matching. And the range is wide: here, 105 to 420...
Two of mine below:

L1050357_zpsowy8goje.jpgL1050363_zpsqgfhdqn8.jpg

Once again, something new to me. I have never heard of this number system being used before.

I have only seen this on JzP helmets, and actually only on 8.J.P helmets (correct me if I'm wrong)! I do not know the story behind this matching. And the range is wide: here, 105 to 420...
Years ago, in a German-Forum years ago, a Helmet of the 6th JzP-Reg. with a marking „178“ behind the eagle has been discussed. But unfortunately they didn't know any reason for it either. One thought was a maker code.

militaria-fundforum.de

A nice helmet Mark! I still have the Bavarian Officer (infantry) Pickelhaube you sold me and it still looks great.

Ron

This is a very interesting information! Never heard of that before!
Yes, probably a question of size and matching plates to helmets. Or some inventory numbers for a Kammer inventory list, to make easier the periodic inspections of the equipment.
One can sometimes see some name tags with a Waffen Nr. I think something like that. Each soldier in the cavalry who had to do his 3 years of duty in peace time received registered pieces of equipment that wre controlled at the end of his duty.

Philippe
;)

I wonder if the numbers were to use to match up the holes placed in the body
for the loops on the back of the plate to line up with the holes in the helmet body ?
Steve

Is it able to find out the maker of some helmets? If all helmets are from the same maker it could be a serial number from a small workshop. That could also explain the range of the numbers and that the most helmets are from JzP-Reg. No. 8, because they are from the same region.

Is it able to find out the maker of some helmets? If all helmets are from the same maker it could be a serial number from a small workshop. That could also explain the range of the numbers and that the most helmets are from JzP-Reg. No. 8, because they are from the same region.
All I have seen are from CE Juncker, like Mark's.

Weitze has a Kurassiere helmet with a # stamped into the body under the front plate
Steve

Back