Prussian Madness

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
My fellow collectors:
I decided that I would put the old ping pong table to use tonight and lay out my Prussian wappen for a little display. I am posting this picture as a testimony to the "dark side", a collector gone crazy! I have rationalized these purchases by the typical collector mind set of "what if". What if I found a helmet that needed a helmet plate?? This is the result!! New collectors beware. All the best, Brian ( no, they are not for sale!)
IMG_3860.jpg

I have seen these in stacks at your home and wondered why on earth you did not put them in a case like I have done Brian? Then you can enjoy the for what they are; shadows of long-gone Pickelhaubes. I love eagle Wappen! Some very nice chickens in there you have I see. Garde Ulanen, some Jäger.... :love10:

On Preußen, I could write another thesis, it fascinates me. The only state dissolved by the allies after W.W.II, and it had nothing to do with the Third Reich. But it paid. So for an Imperial collector, every state still exists in Germany, except Preußen. She is gone. :sad3:

The pic below is old, there are quite a few more now. Still looking for a reserve Jäger (that's a hint for you R1) and a Preußen Dragoner (That's a hint for you Chas). :glasses8:

Chicken_ranch.jpg

Those are both nice collections ,but stop teasing us new guy's .
Bothe Buetiful collections. Any spare Reserve Prussian Chickens? for trade cash .
Mark

Thanks for the suggestion T. It would have to be a very small display case as my collection room is quite full. You have seen it. There are actualy 3 ulanen in that row 2 brass and one grey M15. Plus one grey M15 shako plate. As Zippy will confirm, there was a grey M15 shako plate at the TO show but the front surface had been striped of grey paint and the orb was glued on the reverse side. Brian

b.loree said:
Thanks for the suggestion T. It would have to be a very small display case as my collection room is quite full.
I was thinking of your family room. These look so great in a big frame against a black background that I was (gasp!) "allowed" to have these out of my hobby rooms.

That is a very cool idea T. How do you attatch the wappen to the back gound, what do you use as a background? What do you use for labeling the different plates? I ask this, as knowing you as I do, you have worked out some great way of getting around these problems. Brian

Brian:

Fantastic! I love the Garde eagles especially. Tony's right, those need to be displayed.

Thanks for showing them.

David

b.loree said:
How do you attatch the wappen to the back gound, what do you use as a background?

Here is what I did. I went to a home improvement store and bought four pieces of thin wood plank about 85cm wide (3 1/2") and glued and screws them together to make a box shape 67cm X 102CM (30" X 40") . This will be quite flimsy until you secure the back.

I bought a half-sheet of mdf (medium dense fiberboard) which is very thin but strong, and screwed that to the back. This gives you a very strong box, for little cost.

The front door was made by buying strips of wall trim from a home improvement store and cut with a miter saw to make a frame. This is very flimsy. But once you buy a thin piece of Plexiglas from a glass shop cut it to fit inside the frame door, and screw it into place, the front door is very strong. Three hinges on the side to join them and you are ready. This was all done in one evening. The case and the front door where stained the same evening and varnished the next.

case2.jpg

This case is reasonably heavy, so it was screwed right to wall studs with four screws. I then used a big piece of corrugated cardboard from a shipping box that our bed mattress came in, and covered that in black foam-backed headliner material from an auto upholstery shop. This gives you a nice thick surface to pin things onto. I then put two-way carpet tape on the back of the cardboard and stuck it inside the frame.

The chickens are held in with sewing pins like butterflies. This works great. I can move chickens around in seconds as I acquire new ones. The black foam-backed headliner gives a great surface to pin into, the chickens contrast very nice against the black, and when you move chickens, the foam takes a flat shape again immediately.

case3.jpg

Once I talk R1 out of that little Jäger chicken I need, I will be moving the bottom row again. 8-[

The labels are only on the photo. I do not have labels on mine. You could make labels if you so wished and place them on plastic strips, and glue Velcro on the back. Velcro sticks to this black foam-backed headliner material like glue.

This case works just as well with 4 Wappens as it does with 30. It is a great way to display them in the house as it looks really good and it is a great conversation piece. Guests see the case and think its my entire collection. :-$

Excellent Tony! I knew you would have worked out a sensible low cost solution to this wappen display case business. Thanks for the pics and sharing your information. I think even someone with my poor carpentry skills could manage that ok. Brian

Back