Prussian UR 6 felt tschapka for review

timp_be

Hello.

I would like to have your opinion about this tschapka from UR 6.

Headgear looks homogeneous even if (IMO) the liner has been replaced. The marking of the XVIII Beckleidungs amt is correct if the helmet is post 1914.

The fittings of the chinstrap are white but oxidized, is this normal on a helmet whose officer model wears the gold chinstrap?

There is on each side a piece of leather glued on the fastening lugs of the side post.

Thank you in advance for your opinion and if you can give me an idea of value...

Best regards

timp_be

Timp, are you seeking any kind of opinion? My immediate, spontaneous impression after just a quick glance is that it is really not pretty at all!
No allure... while a Tschapka should by essence be a well-made, elegant piece of headgear.
More practically, how would you affix a Rabatte with holes for the hooks punched in this postion?? A custom-made mini-Rabatte, perhaps?..

Hello.

Thank you for your opinions.

"No allure"...?? It has the same look as all felt tschapka ...

So as this is a felt tschapka there is no rabatte! It's not a parade helmet...

This helmet has been discussed on another WW1 forum and the conclusion was that, except for the replacement liner and the feldzeichen who is a copy, this helmet was original.

If you have precise arguments to say that it is a copy do not hesitate to present them.

Best regards

timp_be

Timp, I do not mean to disappoint you if you have purchased this Tschapka, but I must disagree with you on a couple of points:
"It has the same look as all felt tschapka"... I used to own a definitively authentic felt one (that I sold to a member of this forum) that looked nicer (shape) and much more refined (reinforcements under the cockades, Feldzeichen attachment...).
"So as this is a felt tschapka there is no rabatte". Then, why the four holes? Ersatz Tschapkas, be they made of felt, tin or else, had these 4 holes, although I agree that Rabatten were probably never - or very rarely - worn on these field helmets. My question is: why are these holes placed in this weird location on this one?
I certainly won't say that this is a copy. It is likely to be authentic. The mortarboard attachment is correct and the BA # inspires confidence. A rough construction though.
You asked for opinions without referring specifically to authenticity... my opinion is that there are nicer ones (with original liners) around. Enjoy it if it is yours though!
Cheers, Bruno

I agree with Bruno that this is a fake. Sorry to disappoint. I have own many felt helmets and still having them, the liner band are not correct for a felt helmet. The side post reinforced pieces are not of correct proportion if there is ever a need for those sideposts reinforced pieces. The brass front visor trim was not even well-trimmed to be covered by the side studs.

I would give that uhlan a miss.

Hello

No worries about me with this tschapka: I bought it almost twenty years ago and it is sold to someone who knows what he bought.

The interior is not correct: I'm agree, it was replaced, I reported in the presentation of the helmet.

A perfectly identical helmet was presented on another forum and it does not come out of collection but comes from a private.

Period photographs clearly show soldiers wearing a tschapka with a 2-layer felt top and side reinforcements at the side post.

There have been several manufacturers of felt tschapka and not only Luckenwalde.

But everyone can believe what he wants.

Best regards

timp_be

Hey all,

I know I'm REALLY late to this conversation, but this helmet is original. The body is a solid orginal felt. There looks to be holes for a Rabette but it would not have had one. German engineering is usually consistent and highly detailed so they would have probably added the holes for the Rabette to follow suit.

Yes the liner looks to be repaired over time but that is not an issue. It could easily be replaced or left as is. And yes some felt uhlan helmets did come with silver or silver washed fittings so that is not abnormal. This helmet does have a unique allure to it. The tschapka has a slight variation to the mortar top funnel shape but that has been seen in other originals.

I have a nice example myself so I can compare. And recently about 3 or 4 felt uhlan fell into the hands of Weitze Militaria, who decided to sell them for approx 2500€

So I hope you got this at a good deal! Congrats on the helmet!

Adam

Back