QUALITY SOLID OAK HELMET DISPLAY STANDS

flasheart

Gents,

To display my helmets I have tried quite a number of options including cotton covered foam pads and antique cotton spools. I have seen other collectors use expanded polystyrene foam heads and even mannequin heads. I feel that all of these options not only failed in aesthetics, they generally detract from the appearance of the helmet. The helmets need a display stand that matches them in aesthetics. To resolve this dilemma, I have made up some helmet stands of an appropriate size, shape and quality to show the helmets to their best and provide that much-deserved dignity. I felt that only high-grade timber was appropriate for these helmets – plastics absolutely fail the aesthetics test.

Here is the result. These are solid Tasmanian Oak helmet stands with barrier pads. Each stand is hand crafted from solid oak, the base and the top are made from 1 ¼” thick (32mm) solid oak, and the post is 1 3/8” (35mm) oak dowel. The base and the top are 4 ¼” (110mm) in diameter for stability and aesthetics. I have used a standard size of 8 ¼” (210mm) as this size ‘looks right’ for both pickelhaubes and steel helmets, including Jager Zu Pferde and Kurassier helmets. I can vary the heights as required, please email me to discuss.

I cut all components to size, inletting the post into the base and top for strength, and the decorative/rounded edges are precisely cut on a table-router. All parts are then finely sanded down to 320-grit paper. Components are assembled in a jig with glue and dowels for added strength. The timber is finished with a dark stain to bring out the beauty of the grain and then varnished with 3-4 coats of hard gloss polyurethane, fine sanding in between coats for a glass-like finish. The base is protected with green felt, and each stand comes with a barrier/pad of quilting grade cotton padding sandwiched between layers of unbleached cotton to provide an acid-free barrier. The barrier pads have sufficient thickness of padding to keep the helmet away from hard surfaces and they are stiff enough to gently hold the helmet liner in place while allowing air to circulate inside the helmet. The last thing you want is for the helmet liner to sag and begin tearing out the stitching! Each stand weighs approximately 10 ounces (300 grams).

For forum members, I offer the stands at $24.00 each, and we can negotiate on price for larger orders where I can get a decent production run going.

I can vary the height as required, vary the colour from natural oak through to dark walnut, vary the finish from high gloss to satin. Black, Khaki, Feldgrau etc are also options if you want a subdued look for combat helmets. Nothing I have seen available comes close to these helmet stands in terms of aesthetics and quality.

Payment by paypal, wire transfer, money order, cash is also OK (EURO/USD/GBP/CAD). I am first and foremost a collector, so I am also happy to talk trades for helmets etc.

Please email me at [email protected] with any questions.

For shipping anywhere in the world, prices are as follows:
For 1-3 stands, shipping cost per stand is: $8.50 by air mail, $5.00 by sea mail
For 4-10 stands, shipping cost per stand is: $5.50 by air mail, $3.00 by sea mail
For 11-17 stands, shipping cost per stand is: $3.00 by air mail, $2.00 by sea mail
For 20 or more stands, shipping cost per stand is: $2.00 by air mail, $1.00 by sea mail

PS, these are also currently listed (with bigger photos) on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6566550884&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESC:IT&rd=1

fullpic6sl.jpg

topbottom5nn.jpg

helms5lh.jpg

steelhelm5jk.jpg

listingbulk7au.jpg

Gents,

The helmet stands are proving quite popular. Clearly they are best suited to pickelhaubes where the broad top can support the crown of the helmet and the pad can support the liner tongues. However, as a couple of folks have pointed out, when a stahlhelm, for example, has the drawstring knotted, a broad top on the stand will put stress on either the pads or the drawstring.

What I would like to do now is make up some prototypes to suit other types of helmets and headware. For example, a stahlhelm stand with a small-diameter padded top to pass through the centre of the liner and support the shell of the helmet without stressing the liner. This stand would then need to include a second, larger disk (of approximately head circumference) to stabilize the helmet at the rim, and a cotton-covered pad to support the liner.

Are there any other characteristics you would like to see in helmet/hat stands; ie, for feldmutze or tschako (the tschako poses a dilemma as you cannot support the helmet on the crown, it really has to be supported around the rim, or perhaps lightly supported in the body).

Anyway, I am happy to hear any suggestions or ideas.

Mike

Hey Jailbird:

As moderator of this forum, it is in your power to delete engine72's retarded contribution above.

Time to hone your skills. When you've zapped that bit o' incomprehension, you can remove this one too.

Chas. :D

hEY cHAS, jAMES DOES NOT GET OUT ON WORK RELEASE FOR ANOTHER WEEK, OH DAMMN, mY STUPID cAPS lOCK ARE ON AGAIN. Sorry about yelling but I am too lazy to retype a post that James should dump in the garbage anyway,
Gus

Chas,

Strange comment I agree, but a valid question.

'Gents' is a contraction of 'Gentlemen', an appropriate form of address to the fine fellows who participate in this forum; although perhaps 'Ladies and Gentlemen' would be more appropriate, my apologies Amy.

Mike

Hi Mike:

I was wondering where you've been. In fairness to engine72, this may have been the most rational question he asked during his brief stay on the forum.

In case you missed his other posts, he was here merely to serve spam and provide a link to his www (which Mike Huxley said was a virus booby trap). What online gambling and Chicago taxi cab rental had in common with Pickelhauben is anyone's guess? Especially when he was posting from Brazil.

Margo saw to it immediately that engine72 would bother us no further.

Now, where's that bozo moderator?

Chas.

Chas,

I have been away from home for most of the past three months, with more to come; comes with the job. However, I still managed to acquire a few pieces over that time!

Take a look at my post on the schirmutze, it has got me curious.

Mike

Back