Question on authenticity, and opinions welcome!

navy98

Hello all,

Just joined the forum after acquiring my first (hopefully non-repro) JzP. I've been wanting to add an original Pickelhaube to my collection for awhile now and a local auction had this one up for sale. I managed to snag it for 400 USD. It appears to be authentic, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. It is marked Schultz & Holdefleiss with a 1916 stamp.

In addition to needing a cleaning and some gentle rust removal, it obviously has some condition issues, namely the eagle on the Prussian wappen is missing its head. I'm considering sourcing repro cockades, chin strap, and wappen from Prussian Glory Militaria, but would love to hear your thoughts on the wappen. Would you just leave it headless considering it's an original (?), try to find an original replacement, or go with the repro? Would you replace the tattered liner and where is the best place to buy a replacement? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1760.JPEG
    IMG_1760.JPEG
    970 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1761.JPEG
    IMG_1761.JPEG
    755.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1762.JPEG
    IMG_1762.JPEG
    777.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1763.JPEG
    IMG_1763.JPEG
    667.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1764.JPEG
    IMG_1764.JPEG
    834.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1765.JPEG
    IMG_1765.JPEG
    927.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1766.JPEG
    IMG_1766.JPEG
    886.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1768.JPEG
    IMG_1768.JPEG
    759.3 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to the forum!
I'm no expert on these metal helmets, but looking at the quality of the work and the patina it all looks original to me.
Personally I wouldn't fix the liner, I like to leave my helmets as original as they come. No problem adding Kokarden and chin-strap (either real or repro), but I would probably take the head of a repro Wappen and mount it on the original Wappen (in a non-permanent manner). In that way you keep the original intact.
Regards,
Lars

Welcome to the Forum navy98 and congratulations to your first helmet :)
Your helmet looks authentic, but unfortunately somebody didn’t like it.
Inside I would leave it as is and also the patina looks great. But I would look for some original parts, like eagle, cocades and chin strap. I‘m personally no fan of repro parts, but it is also an option (y)

Welcome aboard navy98. I agree with Sandy on this.
The helmet looks great as it is, and original. I also would not replace the liner with a repro one, better leave it like it is.
And go searching for an original wappen, they can be found. Kokarden can be found too, an original chinstrap might be more difficult though.
But you paid a very good price for it! $400 is really neat! :)

Regards, Coert.

Thank you all for the info and for the suggestions! Looks like I'll be searching out some original cockades and a wappen now!

There was an original wappen up for sale on the Age of Kings sight.
It went up for sale and almost sold immediately.
I disagree with the others to a certain extent on the liner.
If possible talk to our local restorer about the liner.
My thought is to get an aged repo and tuck it inside behind the original liner .
As far as the wappen is concerned , I agree with Lars.
Get a repo eagle head and semi attach it to the plate.
It would present so much better with the head of the eagle.

Back