Question on Cuirassier Helms

USMC-EOD

Hey Gents,

I have an earlier model Enlisted Man's Prussian Cuirassier helmet. It looks like it was originally an older "step-visor" type helmet that was modified to the newer type (1890's) visor while in service.

It still has the screws holding on the chinstrap. I know the Cuirassier helmets got the M91 posts around 1897 if memory serves me right? And the visors changed in the early 1890s?

Anyway, has anyone seen a visor upgrade switch like this while in service? Seems like a smart money saving move to modify existing helmet stocks during a fairly short transition phase with visors and side posts..., at least at the Regimental Depot level.

Do any of you have a picture of an upgraded/modified one?

Sorry; no photos. All my helmets and junk is/are sitting helpless in a condo in Tampa Bay waiting for hurricane Irma while I sit here in Oki...

Semper Fi.

Bryan.

Bryan I was wondering what happened to you; good to hear you are well and serving overseas.

My Guide to Kürassier Metalhelme will help you with the dates etc. Although it could use an update itself...

Very common to find M1889 Kürassier Metalhelme with screw posts. It makes sense to me that the helmets themselves were quite robust and probably only those newly manufactured after 1894 would have seen the M91 post. Visor was rounded on Mannschaften helmets in 1889.

Here is my old M1889 example. Visor was rounded in 1889.

dbh26.jpg

USMC-EOD said:
Hey Gents,

I have an earlier model Enlisted Man's Prussian Cuirassier helmet. It looks like it was originally an older "step-visor" type helmet that was modified to the newer type (1890's) visor while in service.

It still has the screws holding on the chinstrap. I know the Cuirassier helmets got the M91 posts around 1897 if memory serves me right? And the visors changed in the early 1890s?

Anyway, has anyone seen a visor upgrade switch like this while in service? Seems like a smart money saving move to modify existing helmet stocks during a fairly short transition phase with visors and side posts..., at least at the Regimental Depot level.

Do any of you have a picture of an upgraded/modified one?

Sorry; no photos. All my helmets and junk is/are sitting helpless in a condo in Tampa Bay waiting for hurricane Irma while I sit here in Oki...

Semper Fi.

Bryan.

Roger. My Enlisted example looks like an 1867 that had an 1889 round brim put onto it. The height of the crown looks like the taller Model 1867 and the spike is the slightly taller type like in your side-by side comparison next to an 1889 on your page. If I remember correctly, the side rivets look slightly different on the interior for my brim and looks like a period repair-to-upgrade. Very professionally well done, and it looks like a very old repair from that period. Is that common?

If I remember correctly, it has the raised reinforcement ridge on the back of the crown like the pre-1889 examples on your page.

Have you ever seen that before?

I should probably have waited till I had all my junk in front of me and taken a picture, but they limit what you are allowed to bring out here. Sorry 'bout that.

And yep; I'm overseas. Someone at Headquarters Marine Corps lost their mind and decided to make me a LtCol. I'm finishing up my last two years in the Gun Club before I retire...

You already retired out of the Canuck Chapter of the Club, right?

First off my heartfelt congratulations on making L/Col. Well deserved I am sure; and well done Marine :-x . Yes you are correct I retired from the Tank Corps in 2013 after a mere 35 years, and went (ironically) to work for the Royal Canadian Air Force as an Instructional Designer for four years.

As for your helmet I believe your hypothesis is absolutely correct, as a raised reinforcement on the rear of the skull is absolutely not on the Preußen M1889 with the round visor. Entirely possible you have a repaired or converted example.

Only the pesky Saxons kept that rear reinforcement on their issued Metalhelme for the full life of the Schweres Reiter. When you get back to the USA I hope you can remember to post some photos on this thread asI would like to see this unusual combination.

Back