R-22 Felt

I think there are one or two-period pictures of it, however, I am always super cautious and extremly weary when it comes to rarer haubes, call me cynical. I think I saw on Col. Joe's site that these did exist but most if not all being sold are fake.

It does actually look old.

This particular helmet has been around a long time, but not as long as original WW1 helmets.

Notice the "leather" trim that is on the entire edge of the helmet. This is a sign of an old made in the U.K. helmet.

Spurious markings as well that were applied in the U.K. back in the 1970's or 1980's as well.

One of these turns up from time to time on eBay or some other venue.

Yes, if I remember from Col. Joe's web site, there were actually helmets that had this type of front plate on them, but this is not one of the "real" or "original" examples.

Alan nailed it, this appears to be one of the UK ones from the 1970's.

I have a period picture of real one's in use, I will dig it out and share.

James

I must disagree: there is no doubt about this helmet, which is a textbook forgery. Alan and James made the right diagnosis. These copies reappear cyclically on the market. I have never seen one that looked authentic. There may have been a real one exhibited at Fort de la Pompelle. I will try to unearth a photo.

I must disagree: there is no doubt about this helmet, which is a textbook forgery. Alan and James made the right diagnosis. These copies reappear cyclically on the market. I have never seen one that looked authentic. There may have been a real one exhibited at Fort de la Pompelle. I will try to unearth a photo.
That one might be seen in the video I shared in the You-Tube section here on the forum, but I am not sure about it. The video about the Fort de la Pompelle. By the way, I am also very sceptical about these R22 helmets turning up, most are forgeries, as stated.

No doubt the one for sale on ebay is a fake.
Here is an original one on display in fort del la pompelle.View attachment 25305
Then my memory was correct. Thank you, Zebedeus. This was the former setting at La Pompelle, with hand-written ID cards. It may have been less "artistic" for the lay visitor, but so much better for collectors: you could watch the helmets at very close range, just behind the glass windows. The impression is also that there were many more helmets displayed at that time.

Back