R36 Uberzug

aicusv

Thought I would repost photo of the Uberzug from my Guam helmet (the helmet was brought back by a US soldier from Guam after WW2). Although hard to see it is marked on the front with an R over a 36. Inside it the markings so a long varied service life. Including once belonging to Grenadier Milk. The pattern of this Uberzug is not all that common.
frt%20uz_zpsyygugvdm.jpg

R38_zpsfrng5uho.jpg

side%20uz_zpsakz3ahmn.jpg

uz%20stamp_zpscshvo8r6.jpg

milk_zpsckysa9bw.jpg

Very unusual construction, great markings and named, hard to beat that! Thanks for posting this again in the new section here.

Very intesresting, I know another Uberzug with same markings GR 7 , 7C and the strange rectangular crossed out mark. It has too a label with the name of the grenadier !
I can't find the link between RIR 36 and GR 7, the garrison cities were far each one. Another explanation must exist.

Between the helmet and cover there appears to be marks for GR 6, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Battalions, ??40? Inf. Regt., and then R36 on the front.
I'll still trying to figure out how it got to Guam. Would like to know more about the history of the helmet and Grenadier Milk. It appears that this Helmet and Überzug got around.

helm%20wplate_zpswhl9lm7s.jpg

frt%20helm_zpsk9kwtw67.jpg

Hello

I made a mistake, I spoke woth a relation with RIR 36 and GR 6.

I found in the Verlustlisten any Milk in RIR 36 or GR 6...

Generally, the reserve units used to take Uberzug from nearest activ units Kammer, but here the distance between the garrison cities of GR 6 and RIR 36 is huge. But during WWI, long distance transfert between units without logical relation was possible too, especially in case of lack of material.

Generally, the reserve units used to take Uberzug from nearest activ units Kammer, but here the distance between the garrison cities of GR 6 and RIR 36 is huge. But during WWI, long distance transfert between units without logical relation was possible too, especially in case of lack of material.

I was asking more relationship you have found? In the chart, reserve forces in The Great War Dawning there is just no relationship unless I am missing something. Regularly it was a function of sharing depots. But this one is a good one.

We agree.
But some times, it is possible to find some relationship as for instance two units belonging to the same BA for instance, or two units which fought in the same area

Is any body able to figure out the crossed out marks on the ??40? Inf. Regt. stamp? Is there any relationship between GR6 and anything that would fit ??40? Inf. Regt.?

Is any body able to figure out the crossed out marks on the ??40? Inf. Regt. stamp? Is there any relationship between GR6 and anything that would fit ??40? Inf. Regt.?
I am reading: "II.46 Res. Inft. Regt." = II/RJR46

GR 6 seems to have had a need of Überzüge at some time in peace time. Some old M92 Überzüge that have been given to the RJR46 in peace time for the periodic recalls of Reservisten were given back to the GR6. Both units had the same garrison in Posen (as the JR46).

Philippe
;)

Thanks Philippe, that seems to make sense. Now to figure out how the helmet got to Guam.

Hello

I manage to find a very similar Uberzug. Most of the marks are the same. There is to a name, from the same Kompanie.

For me, the GR 6 needs in 1911 some Uberzugs for some men of the 7/GR 6, probably volunteers (it could explain the name). They take Uberzug which were planned for the RIR 46, the two units were in Posen. It is very scarce that activ units use old M 92 Uberzugs. On my Uberzug, I can clearly see that a former red number 6 was sewn.

The painted numbers are too visibles.

There are no doubt for the R and the 6. For the last number, I would see 7, especially as compared to another painted Uberzug I own from RJR 76. The 7 is exactly the same as on the RIR 76 Uberzug.

There is no logical relation between GR 6 and RIR 76, the two units never fought on the same place during WWI. A possibility is that this old stock of M 92 Uberzug was forgotten when WWI breaks out and was discovered after. And was given to an unit which need Uberzug, for instance for the first Ersatz men sent after the "Marne Drama" in september 1914. We could understand that GR 7 does not want such old M92 Uberzug. I own too a RIR 229 Uberzug with a JR 171 mark, in this case too, there are no relation between these two units. Argonne could too speak of a Pio Bat 16 helmet which was use after the death of its owner in septembre 1914 in Argonne by RJR 236 in october 1914 in Flandern.

Last edited:
Back