Rare hybrid

911car

From a distance it is a classic M95.
However, although both visors are made of regular leather, the helmet itself is made of tin. Lacquered black outside, and light brown inside.
On the right part of the rear visor is stamped "Metallhelm" (not easy to make out but you can take my word) and below are a date (191?) and words I cannot decipher.

L1040172.JPG
L1040178.JPG
L1040179.JPG
L1040180.JPG

Tony without Kaiser said:
Just when you think you’ve seen everything......

Bruno how are visors and liner held on?

Holes have been neatly machine-drilled in the metal, wherever needed (liner, visors, earpieces). I could see a few as I had to do some re-stitching. The thread they used was thicker than on conventional M95s, and spaces between holes larger.

L1040168.JPG

Wow. A very unique piece. I wonder why they were made like that and how many got made like that. Fantastic! :thumb up:

Bruno,

As already encountered on saxon helmets, the stamp on the back visor must be:

"Metal helmet - do not send in the field".

After some bad experiences with this kind of helmets in the field ( when get stroken by a bullet or shrapnell, some metal parts of the helmet were taken with in the wound, causing some very bad injuries), those helmets had to only be worn in the garrison. ("ga").

What is the stamp behind the "103.R"? It seems to be something like "ga".

Philippe
:wink:

argonne said:
Bruno,

As already encountered on saxon helmets, the stamp on the back visor must be:

"Metal helmet - do not send in the field".

After some bad experiences with this kind of helmets in the field ( when get stroken by a bullet or shrapnell, some metal parts of the helmet were taken with in the wound, causing some very bad injuries), those helmets had to only be worn in the garrison. ("ga").

What is the stamp behind the "103.R"? It seems to be something like "ga".

Philippe
:wink:

Thank you Philippe. You solved the problem. I had seen your picture before but I did not make the link.
Yes, on the right side of "103.R", and perpendicular to it, "ga" has been stamped twice.

Something completely unknown to me as well. Very strange that they would go to all that trouble to join leather and tin and then not be able to use it in the field. Thanks for making this post Bruno.

b.loree said:
Something completely unknown to me as well. Very strange that they would go to all that trouble to join leather and tin and then not be able to use it in the field. Thanks for making this post Bruno.

I agree. It seems like a great deal of effort was expended for precious little use.
Very unique helmet. I have never seen or even heard about such a helmet.

Congratulations!

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

This is what this site is about, learning new things about old stuff. Thanks for posting.

I as well have never heard of such a helm.

Is it possible to get a picture of inside the skull with liner folded out ?

I would love to see the brown painted inside.

Hello.

Are you sure it's tin and not fiber?

Strange that the inside is light brown if it's tin...

Best regards,

timp_be

timp_be said:
Hello.

Are you sure it's tin and not fiber?

Strange that the inside is light brown if it's tin...

Best regards,

timp_be

Yes, 1000% sure it is tin. No doubt. Painted light brown inside.
Cheers,

pickelhauben said:
I as well have never heard of such a helm.

Is it possible to get a picture of inside the skull with liner folded out ?

I would love to see the brown painted inside.

The liner is dry and fragile. I am worried I will tear it if I fold it out completely and put it back in place. This is why I showed partial wiews of the inside above. You can see the light brown colour. It is the same on the whole inside aspect of the shell.

Back