Rare Original Photo showing a Riveted Visor Depaheg Patent Pickelhaube being worn

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

I want to share this super rare image that I recently acquired. It shows a soldier from the Eisenach area near where my ancestors came from.

Fortunately the soldier is wearing his chinstrap down around his chin/neck area (something that is seldom seen in photos) and it clearly shows he is wearing one of the rare riveted visor pickelhaubes like those known to be marked Depaheg Patent. If the chinstrap was shown like in so many photos being worn up around the visor, we would never have known that he is wearing one of these rare ersatz helmets.

He also has a very big smile on his face, something that is also seldom seen in period photos from the war time.

I will also show photos of my helmet which I bought in a grouping that walked in to the old Minnesota Military Show several years ago.

Best Regards,

Alan

Depaheg Patent Riveted Visor Pickelhaube Photo 2.jpg

Depaheg Patent Helmet 1.jpg

Depaheg Patent Helmet 2.jpg

Depaheg Patent Helmet 3.jpg

Depaheg Patent Helmet 4.jpg

Click on the photo of the soldier to enlarge the image. You will be able to see the 3-rivets clearer on the visor.

Best Regards,

Alan

Nice to see one of those helmets in situ. Well-done 👍🏼

I have one too, also bearing the Depaheg Patent marking in the liner. A rare and very weird ersatz

Best

Astounding. First image I have ever seen that is evidence. Well done Alan.

Tony

Oh, killer example by the way. I don't believe mine had any manufacturers mark.

Hello,

Here's an additional photo I recently acquired showing several of these riveted visor Depaheg Patent helmets being worn by members of Landwehr Infantry Reg't 71 on June 30, 1915.

I believe that all 15-soldiers wearing helmets in this photo have this type of pickelhaube. It's a bit hard to see the ones in the back row.

Best Regards,

Alan

Riveted Visor Helmets by Landwehr Infantry Reg 71 marked.jpg

Very interesting picture. Good to see the helmet still in use in mid-1915

Having one in hand and judging by the flimsiness of those toy-helmets, I hope those guys will have survived head injuries until the introduction of the M16.

Best

Back