Rat Patrol

Gustaf

Staff member
Hey Mikey,
I started a new thread on this topic, as the thread where you posted this question
Hey Chas how was 'Rat Patrol' tonight? Up to expectations or a bitter dissapointment?
Do you remember it, Gus? And what about 'Combat'?
Is such a good one that I thought I would try to help keep it clean.
I do remember Rat Patrol, that is where I learned to drive a WWII jeep, they will do amazing things, and I have yet to turn one over. I suspect that this program motivated me to buy my first jeep, a 1942 Ford GPW, I still have it ans over the past 34 years, I have put over 50000 miles on it. I bought Maggie one about 12 years ago, a 1942 Ford GPW, and we have driven it nearly 20000 miles. I have another one that I bought for parts, but it is a 1943 Ford GPW, and even another just for a spare, but it is a 1942 Ford GPW. I know, it is not much for variaty, but they do have different serial nuimbers. As for Combat, that was one of the programs that I looked forward to each week when we could gert TV reception. I have seen several episodes in the past few years, and I must admit that Rat Patrol was very disapointing, even the driving was a lot tamer than I remembered. Combat was better.
Best wihses
Gus

I have the entire Combat series on DVD, that I am not quite done with yet, but overall quality etc is awesome. And some great behind the scenes stuff with it!

I also have the complete Rat patrol series on VHS tapes from the reels, qaulity is just ok.

I loved them both as a kid, but I have to tell you watching them now, Combat is still great and I can get a entire season in a week, but the rat Patrol episodes are just ok, and I can only watch a coue every now and then without getting bored.

James :D :eek: :D

The release of this item Tuesday is what precipitated Mike's question:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCBCD0/qid=1138675096/002-2877279-5944067

"Rat Patrol" was one of Donna's favorites; therefore it will soon be an addition to our video library. I scarcely remember the show and wonder what my reaction will be. I'm anticipating something silly and beyond belief. However, I did watch Combat and Twelve O'Clock High.

I also liked Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau.

Critical review forthcoming:

Chas.

Chas- I will be curious to hear what you think when you get it, the VCR tapes I got are copied from the origianl reels and the quality just sucks, I am sure the DVD will be better.

As long as we are talking about old TV series, I also have the complete Hogan's Hero's series, which still makes me laugh =D>

And one of my favorites, although it is not that old is the Sharps rifles series, Napolean era....

James

Sharps rifles series,
The first half of the series is tha best, it tends to get a bit soap opera in the latter episodes.
I am sure the DVD will be better.
All the work with remastering can not help the plot lines on Rat Patrol.
Gus

Amazing that you copped driving lessons from RP, Gus. I remember that there was a lot of throwing jeeps around in that series. It was on the same night as 'Garrisons Gorrilas' and I was allowed to stay up till 10 when GG finished. My Dad hated both but tolerated 'Combat'. He said it had 'atmosphere' but was like 'Sgt Rock' comics and gave me a false impression of war. He had fought in North France and Germany in a Sherman and I think as the War was still only 20 years away these sanitised versions irritated him a bit. I loved 'combat' and looked forward to it all week. I'd like to see them again - I can still hum the tune. Vic Morrow was dead cool. Was'nt 'Rat Patrol' a bit like the 'A Team' with sand? I guess 'Garrisons Gorrilas' was just 'The Dirty Dozen' serialized.
What year was 'Combat' - around '65?
What about the 70's Brit series, 'Manhunt'? Kind of French resistance psychological thriller with the incredibly alluring Cyd Hayman.

And Otto- 60's/70's Prog-Rock Bands - me too! Ever heard of a Brazilian/Israeli hard Rock outfit called "Jericho"?

Was'nt 'Rat Patrol' a bit like the 'A Team' with sand?
Good one Mikey, that is about the best comment on RP yet.
There was a lot of jeep airborn, I have only had mine airborn a few times, once when the steering came apart at 60 mph down a narrow road, it styed right side up, and cleared a 4 foot high concrete abutment when it left the road, my dog would not get back in the jeep for a week.
I always thought the War and western programs were to sanitized, dieing is not as clean and peaceful as was shown on old TV shows.
I'd like to see them again
Ouch, I just looked at the price of the complete Combat series $254.96 but it is 12i hours of viewing.
Best wishes
Gus

Well that coalboxes that. I could put that cash towards a Waffenrock or a Ulanka instead.

What did you think of the 'Band of Brothers' series, Gus?
I liked it and my Father said it captured the ambience of war, particularly in the Ardennes in Winter, extremely well and conveyed an authenticity he had not seen in other series.

What did you think of the 'Band of Brothers' series, Gus?

I had the pleasure of watching the Ardennes part of the series with a dear friend who was an infantryman in the 83rd Division, (actually Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 329th Infantry Regiment) who has since passed away. During the scene where the paratroopers are charging across a snow covered field under fire, my friend shook his head and said "how many times did I do that?" He liked the series very much. He said the depiction of the snow and cold was pretty good. He used to vividly describe nights of uncontrolled shivering all night in frozen foxholes, and vowed he would never let himself get that cold again.
As for 60's TV series, my vote goes to I Dream Of Jeannie. A scantily clad blonde running around saying "Oh Master". What's better than that?
Steve

Hey Mikey,
Band of Brothers was pretty good, but there is some disgreement about the facts as portrayed by Mr. Ambrose. The story was written from one point of view but was dipicted as though it was a balanced portrayal. Other than that, it was great.
Best wihse
Gus

...not military, but I liked the TV Series:
Naked City

Route 66

Zorro and Lost in Space ( did you know that the real name of the actor who plays Zorro and the father of the family in Lost in Space, Guy Willians was Armand Joseph Catalano and he was the grand uncle of Maysa my wife? Maysa Catalano (now Holzer, of course).

Otto

I thought high noon was not that bad .I watched Rat Patrol as a kid and agree it is really alet down now to see it.
I found Combat ( when I did see it kinda boring though they were written by the same guy who wrote the twighlite zone .
1st Canadian Parachute Regiment Veterans that i talked to really liked the series .They trained in Benning with or around that unit .They get a little loud about the Arsennes as ,Bastogne particually . They were troops from the Canadian Army that were sent in to try to relieve the troops.
Australians make good films ANZACS and charge of the light horse are 2 good examples.

Back