Re-Gilding

ussguppy

Anyone had any experience with reapplying fire gilt? Looking to refurbish my hat badge for work, but haven't found any company that does it.

I like the look that my Bavarian officers wappen has and want to duplicate that in this.

Any leads are appreciated!

Gabe

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_095125.jpg
    IMG_20230322_095125.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 19
Anyone had any experience with reapplying fire gilt? Looking to refurbish my hat badge for work, but haven't found any company that does it.

I like the look that my Bavarian officers wappen has and want to duplicate that in this.

Any leads are appreciated!

Gabe
Gabe,
I’ve looked into to this also, but I understand that it is no longer done because the process requires the use of mercury.
Dennis

Gabe,
I’ve looked into to this also, but I understand that it is no longer done because the process requires the use of mercury.
Dennis
Yeah, when part of the process is boiling off the mercury, that could maybe have a few health concerns haha

I will be surprised if the cost they charge is less than simply buying a new cap device. And that's not including the cost to mail to Germany and back to the US.
Unfortunately, it's a WW2 cap device and the new ones are not very nice in comparison. It is a vanity thing, but you are probably correct, not worth the cost...

Unfortunately, it's a WW2 cap device and the new ones are not very nice in comparison. It is a vanity thing, but you are probably correct, not worth the cost...
But what price pride and esprit de corps?

When I was a young Bombardier (Corporal) in the Artilley I had my cap badge gold plated.

Anchors Aweigh!

Peter

Back