Real or fake? A friend needs help 1

bcalkins

Hi,
I have a friend in Italy who is asking my advice on originality and value for this helmet. This is ousting my wheelhouse so I am seeking help from y'all.
Please see two other items he wants opinions on (originality and value). One on this board and one in general topics.
Thanks!

Attachments

• pickl 1.JPG
    pickl 1.JPG
    718.6 KB · Views: 1,869
  • pickl 5.JPG
    pickl 5.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 1,869
  • pickl 4.JPG
    pickl 4.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 1,869
  • pickl 3.JPG
    pickl 3.JPG
    473.4 KB · Views: 1,868
  • pickl 2.JPG
    pickl 2.JPG
    674.9 KB · Views: 1,868
looks to be original.... is there a maker name stamped inside? Value is around $750-1000 or so. I has no kockades or chinstrap. I prefer my helmets with maker / manufacturer names in them.

I see no problems, very good condition, a couple of dents but a nice M15 style un dyed liner. More often than not the liner is either missing or in poor shape.

A close inspection of the M91 lugs reveals that they are made of brass with rounded, not sharp pointed, tabs. I believe that this helmet is a Model 1905, not a Model 1915. The nickel silver fittings are in excellent condition. The helmet itself is in very good condition except for a few dents, but it is missing the Kokarden and the chinscales. Finding original chinscales for this helmet could take years, and they could end up costing as much as the helmet. There are reproductions of these chinscales available, so the question is: how important is originality to the buyer or how long is he willing to wait?

John :(

My suggestion of 1915 John was specific to the liner only...obviously the helmet as you say is pre war in quality.

b.loree said:
My suggestion of 1915 John was specific to the liner only...obviously the helmet as you say is pre war in quality.

Actually I wasn't referring to your comment about the M15 liner.
I was simply referring to the helmet itself.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

John :eek:

Sharp eye John.

SkipperJohn said:
// A close inspection of the M91 lugs reveals that they are made of brass with rounded, not sharp pointed, tabs. I believe that this helmet is a Model 1905, not a Model 1915. //

Back