Real or Repro Kurassier Wappen

garlanj

Hi Gentlemen - I'd be interested in your thoughts on this wappen I got a few years back.

Its not magnetic but doesn't seem to be brass either (unless it's been chemically darkened or just plain aged)

Pictures of front, head and back.

I'm guessing it's a copy but would be glad of some pointers

In my opinion you have on original plate there. Its going to be brass under all that patina!

There's a bit too much patina for me. What would be the best way to restore it to its former glory?

I do not see pointed ends on the posts, they are cut/squared off. I think, that if we see pointed posts (as told to me by Tony S) on an original wappen with everything ok then it simply means that the wappen was not issued, otherwise the posts are cut off and nuts put on. The only problem I have with this wappen is that the solder appears to be the same colour as the wappen itself.

When the back photo is blown up on my screen, there are a lot of little 'seeds' or tiny spherical bumps on it, especially around the 'Fur Konig' bandeau. Is that dirt or grim / Rust?
I may be wrong, but aren't those warning sings of a copy?

:-k Ron

Don't think it's dirt Ron. As Tony says, guess it's a copy (and not a very good one at that). Thanks for your input gents

Back