Remembrance.

seagull

Life size statue by Andy Edwards, 2014, entitled "All together now". In memory of the Christmas truce1914, it now stands in the grounds of St Luke's Church Liverpool City, destroyed in the May Blitz of 1941, after a time on display at Messines, close to where the no-mans-land football matches took place.
20211009_120118.jpg

Sandmann

Very nice monument of understanding. I’m happy to live in a time when the European countries talk to each other rather than fight. Another thing I like is that this monument is a work of art, not like these modern monuments. (y)

seagull

I believe a smaller bronze version of this statue is now kept permanently in Belgium. I thought it worth showing here, where I have been lucky to meet a lot of decent, principled, people who I knew would appreciate its sentiment. When I first saw it I was just overcome by the feeling of seeing two young men tentatively sharing a moment of simple humanity when, just a day earlier, their job had been to kill each other. You are right Sandy, God willing, we will never see such a terrible waste of life again.