Report on the 2005 MAX

A

Anonymous

Hello All:

At virtually the last moment, I decided to attend the 2005 MAX Show. It was my first MAX since the change in venue from Monroeville, Pennsylvania to Charlotte, North Carolina. I purchased a weekend admission to the show (which ran $25.00), but, in actuality, one day would have been sufficient. As militaria shows go, I wouldn't categorize it as a dud, but I am looking forward to the Louisville Show of Shows in February 2006.

Many of the dealers I spoke with were dismayed by the poor attendance, and several had packed their wares by early afternoon Saturday and headed home. What salvaged the weekend for me was seeing old acquaintances and making some new friends. I met George (keoki7), was able to visit with Bob Scott and Andreas Ising, had dinner with Stephen Previtera and met his friends, Michael Tucker, Stephen Kirby, and Brian Gonzales. I also visited with Randy Trawnik and Tony Cowan, and marveled at heaps of crud being flogged for a king's ransom. I picked up some decent items, but I doubt I will be returning next year.

I also took a few pictures. First is a fairly laughable Bluse that had enough awards loops sewn into it that the owner should have been a Feldmarschall rather than a lowly Oberleutnant.

KICX0220.jpg

Here is Mr. keoki7 himself. George is a true gentleman and I purchased some Kokarden from him.

KICX0221.jpg

This array of Hauben represents the Hamburg dealer, Helmut Weitze. One of his Untermenschen "graciously" allowed me to take a snap. Apologies for the blur; my camera was in manual focus mode at the time (which I didn't realize).

I examined some of these helmets carefully and was suprised to see all sorts of problems from hex nuts to extra holes. Big trouble for big ticket prices.

KICX0222.jpg

KICX0223.jpg

However, I really did like this JB Nr. 7 Tschako. The Wappen was secured by split brads and washers.

KICX0224.jpg

Finally, I saw some outstanding Marine dirks. These are a few of the choicest. I fell in love with the M1902 dirk just above the M1872 eagle head Applikanten Dolch. It was pristine and had a Damast blade. The price was $6,995.00!

KICX0226.jpg

This angle provides a better view of the "heavy" dirk (blade outside the scabbard). The price was a hefty $27,000.00!

KICX0225.jpg

See you in Louisville,

Chas.

Chas,

Did you ask Weitze about the problems? I know that Bill had some issues with some of them at SOS last year. I certainly intend to ask a bunch of questions at SOS 06. More than once I've been tempted to buy a helmet off his site but have yet to do so. The problem all these dealers have is supply. There is enough room in the market for a dealer coming up with good stuff, but I would be loath to make my living from being forced to find supply. There are several helmets in your pictures that intrigued me. The complete Filz with the Reich's Adler is interesting. Speaking of Jager Battalion seven, another one of these has come up in a private collection being sold. I am far from any person knowledgeable in shakos but can't you just put on a field badge? They are not held on by split breads, are they? Do you remember how much he wanted for that one?

And now for a blatant unwarranted plug -- -- many of us are gathering at the big show in Louisville -- SOS -- in February 06. If you are new to the forum. That is the place to go to meet all of the imperial collectors you can. This form will have one or two tables. So we will have a place to congregate. My wife will go shopping. I know my wife. She will look at the show, grab as many women as she can, and drive to the local shopping locations. To borrow a line from that great Canadian movie Strange Brew [yes, it's a movie about beer] -- -- I will be in the cafeteria selling smokes.

Joe,
I am definitely looking forward to the SOS this year in Louisville. It will be great to see many of the members of the forum. Gus, Chas and yours truly had a great experience last year going through the helmets and discussing their faults / attributes etc. Quite a learning experience. Everyone had something to offer.
To your comments on the Weitze table.... yes I did have some issues with some of the helmets that he displayed.
Compared to his web site he definitely left his best helmets at home. When it comes to the foreign tables I look with a jaded eye. It seem to me that they view the American market as a vast and rich dumping ground for all of their questionable items. Same goes for e-bay sellers listing there items on the American site rather than the German site. I know that I will get into trouble for making that blanket statement as there are reputable dealers out there but I always have that nagging question in the back of my mind..... If this is so great why didn't you sell this in your local market?
So I view Louisville as a place to meet fellow collectors, make friends, and have a good time. If I find something to buy it will be an unexpected event. Bill

Hi Chas,
Thanks for the photos!

:shock: ...I sold 3 years ago a heavy dirk same to this for $250.00...My God!

Otto

Otto- if you have any more of them, I will gladly duoble your price you sold them for 3 years ago!!!!!

James

joerookery said:
I am far from any person knowledgeable in shakos but can't you just put on a field badge? They are not held on by split breads, are they? Do you remember how much he wanted for that one?

Hi Joe:

You are absolutely right about this. Remove that Schaumburg-Lippe Feldzeichen (which may have been a reproduction) and the Tschako would be indistinguishable from that of any Preußen Jäger Bataillon.

You can see more pictures of this helmet by accessing Weitze's site and searching for item 38859 (price 2,300.00 Euros). The filz Ostasiatischen Expeditionskorps Pickelhaube (item 54726) is 2,500.00 Euros.

Bill and I are in total agreement. I've done big buck business with Weitze in the past; yet when I introduce myself at a show, the response has always been chilly (if not downright rude). There is little point in asking Weitze anything. He is far too busy scoping out other dealers for bargains to take back to Germany. His stooge, Marcus Menze, is point man, but he speaks ham-fisted English and suffers from Hans Georg Schultz Syndrome (I know nothing! Nothing!).

I never see Weitze sell anything to a collector, and suspect those helmets (always the same ones) never return to Germany between shows. I guarantee you will see them in Louisville.

Chas.

epsomgreen said:
//This array of Hauben represents the Hamburg dealer, Helmut Weitze. One of his Untermenschen "graciously" allowed me to take a snap. // I examined some of these helmets carefully and was suprised to see all sorts of problems from hex nuts to extra holes. Big trouble for big ticket prices.

When Chas stayed with us in June of this year, I remember well when he spotted a brass hex-nut on the spike base of my Model 1891 Baden Dragoner Regt 20 Mannschaften Pickelhaube. "Noooooo!!!" he yelled and I was just able to catch it before it hit the floor! :roll:

I found a period brass square nut for the for the spike base and that evil hex-nut is gone. Whew!

But seriously, I have never bought a helmet from Helmut. But I have bought many, many Waffenrock and shoulder straps. With the exception of one shoulder strap, everything has been exceptional. Perhaps it is just a sign of the age of these, that almost all Pickelhaubes, after so many years, will have some replaced parts? But for the price he asks, I would not expect this?

And Chas, I almost fell off my chair when I read your "One of his Untermenschen" observation. Brilliant! T

Hi Tony:

Speaking of Untermensch, would anyone care to comment on the peculiar geezer who appears in the picture of George? I refer to the gent in his bathrobe.

Show us yer leg!

Chas. :lol:

Chas,

If you think Weitze and crew are aloof, you will definitely want to stay away from Jan Kube. In my many trips to Stuttgart I never saw anything but the bottom of his nose. Talk about foppish!

Chip

Hi Chip:

Yes, it's sobering to be regarded as nothing more than a cash cow. They certainly convey the impression that the slightest demonstration of courtesy would kill them.

Let the buyer beware.

Chas.

Back