Reproduction Helmet Liners

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have never advertised this before, but I am also capable of producing repro M95 style liners for leather and filz helmes. These are made and stitched in by hand. The leather used is the same as the originals. You will note that they fit tight to the rim of the shell unlike other repros. The only problem of course is that on a leather helmet, both visors have to be removed so the installation is labour intensive. The filz/felt helme obviously, is much easier to stich. The only problem with these is trying to use dye to simulate the 100 year "air burn" on the flesh side like the originals...impossible at least for me. Finding the correct tanned sheepskin can also be a real challenge as most modern leather is tanned using a different process. Some pics:
IMG_0506-L.jpg

Both of these helmet shells are mine, one Saxe the other Prussian.
IMG_0507-L.jpg

IMG_0509-L.jpg

I have not bothered to stitch the ends of the liner yet as is proper.
IMG_0511-L.jpg

The raw product...these are cut out by hand using a a template pattern I made from pieces of an original years ago. I gotta get a life.... :eek: there has to be a better use of my time than making new liners for 100 year old hats!! :D

Well....truth be told, I investigated this probably 20 years ago and once again was helped by George Birringer who told me what kind of leather to look for amongst many other restoration things. He reproduced many types of helmet liners both WW1 and WW2 etc for sale through various adds in print media back in the day. He was a true gentleman and despite having a small business selling reproductions as well as doing excellent helmet restorations, he gave advice/expertise freely, just for the asking. I have tried to follow his example here on the forum, by showing how things can be done. I have not bothered to get into this liner thing, previously because, it is a very intense process involving a huge amount of work which means $$. George went far beyond my capabilities with what he could offer regarding pickelhaube officer liners and sweatbands etc.
Who knows, what expertise is available to our European brethren here on the forum?? I mean obviously, they live in the heartland where these helmets were produced. I would appreciate our European members to comment on the whole haube restoration issue and perhaps my request is again an example of.....I don't follow other forums....I don't have time to be bothered ?? Comments from Europe are much appreciated.

Yes at one time George was the only game in and spikes on ebay was at it's infancy.
Back then parts were not available and either you made your own or did with out.
Now if you need a part just wait and check ebay every day and that part may just show up.
Except for an original uhlan metal m-15 top.
Your liners look great !!

Back