Reproduction Spikes and Trichters

kaiserzeit

Greetings, All!

In the old forum we had quite a discussion about the many thread sizes that original helmet manufacturers used. Though there was some standardization, there were so many makers that a huge number of variations in thread size and style developed for spikes and trichters.

Given that I am slowly developing the ability to supply reproduction parts to collectors, I thought it might be useful to suggest a non-destructive way of using a replacement spike or trichter on an original helmet.

Definitely, the last thing any conscientious collector wants to do is damage a fine old antique helmet in the course of restoration. The question then is: "How do I install a reproduction spike or trichter without harming the original helmet?"

The answer lies in epoxy glueing a nylon bolt to the bottom of the replacement spike or trichter. The female threads of the spike base will easily cut new threads in the nylon bolt and the original spike base remains undamaged.

One has to remember, though, that you will need to be careful with the nylon bolt, it won't withstand being screwed on and off the spike base too many times. And, don't screw it on too tightly or you will shear its threads.

The above is an imperfect solution at best but the best I have been able to devise thus far.

If anyone has an enhancement to this idea, your input would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Laurie

Hi Laurie,
A better plan might be to solder a nut to the base of the spike/trichter replacement, then a bit of nylon rod could be threaded into the nut and then onto the helmet, the reasoning for this is that it would be very easy to replace the nylon if it becomes too worn from repeated removal. Also, it would be possible to use a wooden dowel in place of the nylon, anything that would be softer than the brass.
Best wishes
Gus

Back