Request for help – LGHR Special Parade Chord

The officers in the LGHR wore a special chord for parade. I have been offered one and I am trying to determine if it is real. Does anyone on the Forum have a set of these chords? Does anyone have any period photos of a hussar officer wearing these chords? Does anyone have any references that show or describe these chords? ( I have both Pietsch and Das Deutsches Heer). Any help would be most appreciated.
Jim

Jim,

the Kordons as described in the officers' clothing regulations of 1899 (amended 1911).

Regards
Glenn

LGHR.jpg

There is one shown on p. 409 of The German Cavalry from 1871 to 1914: Uniforms and Equipment
by Ulrich Herr and Jens Nguyen.

This unfortunately rather small portrait is from the French language histoirémilitaria 14-18 forum and shows the Kordons in wear.

Regards
Glenn

LGHR2.jpg

There is a LGHR officer busby pictured in "L'Armee Allemande en 1914" (Laine), p.289. The Fangschnurr is nicely displayed.

A nice shot of the then Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, Major à la suite of the Life Guard Hussars in 1885.

Regards
Glenn

wilhelmlghr.jpg

I would like to thank all of you who responded to my request for help. It is most gratifying to receive such rapid and responsive answers. It appears that there were two models or forms for this device. The chord shown in Herr and Nguyen's book on pages 395 and 405 and the form shown in Laines' book and the drawings in Pietsch, Das Deutsche Heer and others. Does anyone know anything about the two forms of this parade chord? Authorization dates? Time frames of wear? Anything?
Any more photos?
Thanks again,
Jim

Jim,

it very much appears that the regiment was wearing these from its formation in 1815. According to Mila's "Geschichte der Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der Königlich Preußischen Armee in den Jahren 1808 bis 1878", the officers of all regiments were wearing shako cords of silver terminating with two "Quasten". Specifically, just the Guard Hussars are mentioned as having the same Quasten at the time of the introduction of the busby to all the hussar regiments of the Prussian Army (The Guard and 3rd Hussars having worn one since 1843, the 4th Hussars in 1844); the remaining line regiments having worn the cylindrical "Filzmütze" in the intervening period. Here is a picture of Oberst Friedrich Graf v. Pückler commanding the Garde-Husaren-Regiment between 1832 and 1840 wearing the cords on his shako.

Regards
Glenn

pueckler.jpg

Jim ;
I ran across this photo .
I think that this is about the best and clearest
photo of the special L G H R Officers Fangschnur
that we will see .
Steve

I think the Larcade volume 2 describes this one.
I will check my Vornholz and La Pompelle pics.
Vornholz

Back