Researched Home Service Helmets

Winston1

Hello everyone,

Here are 2 more helmets from my collection.

Here is a Victorian grey cloth helmet to the 1st Northamptonshire Rifle Volunteer Corps. This plate was used from when home service helmets were first issued to the unit in 1879 up until 1887 when the unit officially changed its name to 1st Volunteer battalion, Northamptonshire regiment. The manufacturer’s label reads “Cater & Co established 1776.” It is named on the inside to Fitzroy. More specifically, Henry James Fitzroy, the Earl of Euston, who served as a major in the corps, and then as its lieutenant colonel from 1882. He was the eldest son of the 7th Duke of Grafton, but died before his father and didn’t inherit the title. He was also the aide de camp to Edward VII during his coronation from 1901-1902, Deputy Lieutenant of Suffolk, Deputy Lieutenant of Northamptonshire, and Justice of the Peace for Suffolk and for Northamptonshire. The helmet has the interesting feature of possessing metal trim along the rear peak. The only other helmet I have seen which shares this feature is a grey cloth helmet of the civil service rifles auctioned through Bosley’s.

CttZyHg_d.webp

sYRjJ7y_d.webp
xFgspNC_d.webp

Here is a picture of Lord Euston
GvqhWz0_d.webp

This is an Edwardian helmet to the Suffolk Regiment and made by Hawkes & Co. It is named to L. C. Smith Esq. Lindsay Clive Smith was a lieutenant in the 4th Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment from 1903-1908. In 1914 he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps as a lieutenant, and in 1915 was promoted to captain and sent to Egypt. After the war he transferred to the Royal Air Force Medical Service. The helmet is in good condition, the gilt has faded a bit and the cloth is damaged along the back peak. It has its original tin, but it has unfortunately been repainted in a dark grey.

ZJf5tKM_d.webp

Xzd5TVF_d.webp

lGjSNxb_d.webp

Last edited:
Wow those are great Winston. I really like the grey and silver one.

I should have my Victorian Royal Artillery Home Service Helmet on Tuesday if Canada Post can finally get it to me. It arrived at the local mini-depot about a half mile from my house just before the Easter weekend. Maddening!

I'll post a picture when I get it.

Cheers.

Peter

i have owned a lot of home service helmets and never seen one with metal trim on the rear peak. Possibly a characteristic of this manufacturer, whom I don’t think I’ve come across before? A very nice helmet.

Congratulations on the research. It’s always very satisfying to know about the owner’s life and career. The very first home service helmet I ever bought was named, and this eventually led to a University dissertation on the soldier’s life and influence.

Patrick

i have owned a lot of home service helmets and never seen one with metal trim on the rear peak. Possibly a characteristic of this manufacturer, whom I don’t think I’ve come across before? A very nice helmet.

Congratulations on the research. It’s always very satisfying to know about the owner’s life and career. The very first home service helmet I ever bought was named, and this eventually led to a University dissertation on the soldier’s life and influence.

Patrick

That is really cool about your first helmet. Finding out about the actual person behind the name is probably why I love these helmets so much. Combing through the army lists is always exciting.

This was also the first helmet I saw with metal trim around the rear peak. It could be an early misunderstanding of the design as it was likely made in 1879. It might also have been a short lived type of “add-on” offered by the manufacturer for an extra charge. I am leaning towards the second option because the other helmet I found is made by Hobson & Sons, and I don't think they would have made an error in their design. The Civil Service Rifles helmet only has one picture, but the angle allows you to see that a metal band wraps around the rear peak. Here is the link:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...2237bd-d938-4654-ad8b-a90500d5955f#lotDetails

Back