Restoration Question

SkipperJohn

Actually this deals more with cleaning than it does with restoration.
Does anyone know of a good product to remove old tape adhesive from a Pickelhaube?
I have an officer Pickelhaube with a beautiful, untouched, finish. At some point in it's history somebody taped something to the shell, probably a price tag. Some of the scotch tape adhesive was left behind and it has hardened. Mild soap will not remove it and I hate to experiment for fear of screwing up the lacquered finish.
Any suggestions?
The helmet in question is made of Vulkanfiber.

John :?

Almost everything I can think of will react to the lacquer as well. You may try warmed Lestoil. Cover the area with the Lestoil allow to a short time to react with the residue then with a soft rag, spit shine the area with more Lestoil. I not sure it will work but I have used it to remove paints and glues from surfaces that needed to be protected. I know lighter fluid will remove tap residue, but it will effect lacquer.
Good luck with this, I'm interest to hear if others have methods.

Sorry that it took so long to get back to this subject. I went searching for Goo Gone cleaner and found that it is not difficult to find; however, since I didn't need a gallon of it I ordered a small bottle over the internet. When it arrived I used it on a Vulkanfiber helmet to remove some tape adhesive that had probably been there for years. I had limited success. I treated the area seven times and the Goo Gone cleaner removed about 85% of the adhesive. I didn't proceed further for fear of causing damage. It did not effect the surface of the helmet, but you could see a light film starting to form. The product specifies that it is not for use on leather, but since this was fiber I had no ill effects. It is a petroleum distillate so I was fearful of saturating the material if I followed the instructions and let the area "soak". I would imagine that it would have worked much better if the adhesive being removed hadn't been hardening for the last fifty years.

John :)

Thanks for the update .

I would have tried brake cleaning fluid .
But it would have been scary to use.
I have tried it before on a clear canopy for a R/C model air plane.
Some one had taped the canopy in place and it worked getting the gum off from the tape.
It did not hurt the clear plastic but that shellac finish is another story.

I am glad that you were some what successful.

Back