Retaining nuts

garlanj

Hi
I have a helmet where the wappen is held on with blu-tac (not original I'm thinking) and I'd like to get a couple of washers/nuts. Firstly, was a standard thread size used and secondly, does anyone have a spare or two?
Thanks all

garlanj said:
Hi
I have a helmet where the wappen is held on with blu-tac (not original I'm thinking) and I'd like to get a couple of washers/nuts. Firstly, was a standard thread size used and secondly, does anyone have a spare or two?
Thanks all

It is hard to find brass aquare nuts now a days and if you do they will not thread onto your posts.

The original threads are cut flat on top of the threads, Modern day threads come to a point .

George Birringer used to make the nuts and posts with flat threads . He had a machine shop make a custom tap and dia.

But he has left us.

If you do not find any I have made some up my self .

I took a larger brass hex nut and flatted it with a hammer after heating the nut and quenching in water to make it malleable. You need to start with a larger hole in the nut that slips over vintage threaded rod. Go slow give it a few heavy taps then try . Turning the nut over each attempt. You can get to a sweet spot were it threads onto your post. This will flatten the nut somewhat . After this is done grind off the hex shape until it is square or squarish.
If you can find brass square nuts it will be easier to grind square because as you flatten the nut becomes larger in diameter .

:thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up:

If you need the threaded post . You could get some all thread brass rod and cut into about 2 inch lengths. After heating and quenching chuck the all thread in a drill and spin the threads on some sand paper . You could use the compatible nut to screw on the rod . If you can find a square nut.

Back