Reworked M15

Grabenmaxx

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and immediately have a questions for you guys.

I recently bought this M15 Artillerie helmet. In the description of the offer, there was nothing mentioned about any markings. Which there are indeed not on the rear visor (there is a surname of the soldier though). But in the interior of the shell however there are old markings.

Were M95 helmets reworked into M15's?
As far as I can see this is a shell dated 1888 belonging to the Badisches Feld Artillerie Regiment N.14 and during the war changed to a Prussian artillery helmet.

Any opinions?20231101_124206.jpg20231101_134508.jpg20231101_134459.jpg20231101_124331.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they reworked older helmets and this is a perfect example of what was done. Many M95’s and older helmets like this were stripped of their brass fittings and converted to M15 configuration. We also find many 1880’s helmets which were brought out of stores reworked and issued again. After the outbreak of the war when the Germans failed to take Paris both sides greatly expanded their armies. Each new formation had to be equipped and thus these older helmets were put back into service. I have a Guard helmet in my collection dated 1889 but it has been equipped with M91 side posts and reissued.

Interesting. I didn't know older helmets were actually completely stripped of brass fittings to be reissued. The fact these belonged to units of other kingdoms/duchies wasn't an issue either apparantly since this one changed from Baden to Preussen. Thanks for the info!

In many cases, the stripping of brass fittings even included ripping out the original brass grommets. Consequently, we see M15 fitted helmets with no grommets in the wappen holes or extra holes for the new M15 wappen. Another indication of “reworking “ can be seen on visors. Often replacement visors were stitched on with coarse saddle type thread using every other stitch hole.

Back