"Ritter" LeBrasseur USN

Lost Skeleton

On 2 February 2007, Commander Paul LeBrasseur USN (our forum’s Lazerblade) participated in an awards ceremony at Camp Arifjan in which he presented four Army Achievement Medals to sailors under the command of Captain Terry Rivenbark, Commander Naval Expeditionary Logistic Support Command (Forward). The decorated sailors had assisted Commander LeBrasseur with his Personal Security Detail (PSD) Unit.

After the ceremony, Paul was “surprised” to be the recipient of an unusual honor from Captain Rivenbark. For his selfless actions while serving as Provost Marshal ASG Kuwait, Paul became an honorary Knight of the Orden Pour le Mérite. I think it’s safe to say Paul is the first person to be awarded the military version of this Order in almost ninety years, and is, perhaps, the first American ever to wear it.

Understandably, Paul’s comrades felt he should be recognized for his admirable and capable service overseas, and what began as a joke over recommending Paul for the Legion of Merit evolved into the presentation of the PLM. The ultimate selection of this award may also have been influenced by the fact that Paul is a pilot, and the gang had recently viewed the George Peppard classic, The Blue Max.

From left to right are Command Master Chief Mark Seifert, Paul, Captain Rivenbark, and Command Master Chief Anderson. If you look closely, you will see Paul wearing the PLM as a breast award.

ShowLetter.jpg

Finally, the Pour le Mérite Urkunde (award document). How it came to be signed by Wilhelm II is anybody’s guess.

ShowLetter-1.jpg

Congratulations Paul!

Chas.

Hi James:

No need to thank me. It was a pleasure just to be involved. Paul might want to proofread my account. I hope I didn't make any egregious errors.

Chas. :D

This brings up a couple of points of etiquette, first, the recipient of the PLM is required to wear it at all times (I suspect that they are allowed to take it off to sleep and bathe), is a member of the US military allowed to wear such an award? and B. where on the ribbon bar is this ribbon to be placed, I am pretty sure that Paul does not need to worry about wheather or not it goes before or after the Good Conduct medal, because like Joe, I doubt that he has one. Very cool, and if it was not for time travel, I doubt this could have been done.
Gus

Congrats Paul......I just stumbled upon this! The Kaiser would be proud. You will naturally be required to wear it at every SOS from now on. Brian

Back